Esteemed Contributor

Ladies, the next time you receive your pkg from UPS..(I am getting one today)..please think about what goes on behind the scenes..My son works for UPS..and suffered a heat stroke last week. The hub is a metal building..NO fans..SO much dust and the heat was over 100 degrees..TODAY is another hot day..! His boss was in the hospital for 3 days for heat stroke..yet nothing will be done. They have no ice or anywhere to keep things cool. My son says its like slave labor. I have pleaded with him to get another job..he has worked there 5 years and went to work that day because he knew no one else showed up! I told him NO JOB is worth risking your life...I am so upset! He's my baby..

Please read: http://pupsinc.homestead.com/big_brown_lie_ups_fact_sheet.htm

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

@emmysmom

where is this?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPS nightmare

[ Edited ]

@Justice4all wrote:

@emmysmom

where is this?

Lenexa, Kansas~ There are fatalities that you wouldn't believe..I googled it!

http://pupsinc.homestead.com/big_brown_lie_ups_fact_sheet.htm

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@emmysmomI'm so sorry.  It's just so easy as we sit in our homes to forget many work in oppressive conditions.

I'm getting a furniture delivery this afternoon and your post reminded me that earlier as I woke up I was thinking that I don't even have bottles of water to offer the workers.  I have time to remedy that!  Back later.

Honored Contributor

I used to work for UPS in their customer service and declined becoming a supervisor because of the way the company treated their employees. I got out thinking I will just pretend it is my company and treat the customers as I would want to be treated until my 2 weeks notice was up. I worked there for 3 years.I also came in the day of a painful biopsy because well I wasn't dead so better go in.

And I was a good employee and won many customer service awards generated by what customers said about me.

The final straw was (and not to mention that the popular saying-"You can't call in sick, you just call in dead" must have originated there) was for me when an older man who had worked for the company for years and never missed a day, was like so many in the call center struck with a gruesome flu that sidelined him for a week.

The policy was to make you sign something saying you had a warning. He had to sign it too.Many were upset that he was treated this way. 

I thought they are for the "almighty dollar" and nothing else.

In contrast, we had a supervisor who/whom? we all adored and I don't know how she remained.She always told us be glad you have a job and we thought yes we were glad but we paid a price for sure.

I hope your son can find a good job that he likes and that respects and takes care of their employees. I would feel the same way you do as a mom!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

That is so bad.    My son's had worked jobs that were in similar conditions.   Their companies provided coolers of water and soft drinks allowing extra breaks to prevent heat stroke.   My thoughts here are to contact OSHA to report dangerous conditions.  That may be the way to bring solution to this problem.  Also contact the local newspapers or news channels.   No one should suffer.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Those are horrible working conditions.  I guess they aren't union.  But, even if they aren't isn't there some kind of agency that working conditions like this fall under?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPS nightmare

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

I used to work for UPS in their customer service and declined becoming a supervisor because of the way the company treated their employees. I got out thinking I will just pretend it is my company and treat the customers as I would want to be treated until my 2 weeks notice was up. I worked there for 3 years.I also came in the day of a painful biopsy because well I wasn't dead so better go in.

And I was a good employee and won many customer service awards generated by what customers said about me.

The final straw was (and not to mention that the popular saying-"You can't call in sick, you just call in dead" must have originated there) was for me when an older man who had worked for the company for years and never missed a day, was like so many in the call center struck with a gruesome flu that sidelined him for a week.

The policy was to make you sign something saying you had a warning. He had to sign it too.Many were upset that he was treated this way. 

I thought they are for the "almighty dollar" and nothing else.

In contrast, we had a supervisor who/whom? we all adored and I don't know how she remained.She always told us be glad you have a job and we thought yes we were glad but we paid a price for sure.

I hope your son can find a good job that he likes and that respects and takes care of their employees. I would feel the same way you do as a mom!

Thanks so much..I know Fed Ex has better conditons..the UPS trucks aren't air conditoned..so many negatives..did you read the fact sheet?? Un freakinbelievable!

Please read..http://pupsinc.homestead.com/big_brown_lie_ups_fact_sheet.htm

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@nagrom wrote:

That is so bad.    My son's had worked jobs that were in similar conditions.   Their companies provided coolers of water and soft drinks allowing extra breaks to prevent heat stroke.   My thoughts here are to contact OSHA to report dangerous conditions.  That may be the way to bring solution to this problem.  Also contact the local newspapers or news channels.   No one should suffer.  Good luck.

Please read, OSHA has been contacted..nothing has been done!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

Those are horrible working conditions.  I guess they aren't union.  But, even if they aren't isn't there some kind of agency that working conditions like this fall under?

-- Mae West