Honored Contributor

Turtleneck Fashion Tips

[ Edited ]

I'm reading the current issue of New York Mag ... on page 23 there's a single column article entitled "Stying Tips I Borrowed From the Rock" by Sarah Spellings.

I'm always on the lookout for styling tips.

She has three tips:  "The Tony Soprano" - "The Ladies Who Lunch" - and "The Belt."

All three are rather doable for me.  

The Tony Soprano is a black turtleneck, black leather jacket and gold chain.  Already one of my looks .... now it has a name.  My black turtleneck collection takes up about 4' of the closet rod!

The Ladies Who Lunch is a camel turtleneck and single or  multiple pearl necklaces.  I have a camel  - never considered pearls - but I'm wearing the look (some real and some faux) to my meeting next Tuesday.  I'm thinking some creamy and some gray faux on the camel shirt - with dark gray pants.  Sarah writes:  "a single string of pearls will make you look like a chic granny.  To make even more of an impact, layer multiple pearl necklaces on top of one another."

The Belt - don't know about this look.  Sarah writes "If a choker-length chain isn't enough, try a belt.  You can use anything that has hardwar - all you have to do is believe."

• I have a collection of chain belts that I've collected over the years.  I might give it a try.
Esteemed Contributor

Vintage chain belts as necklaces? They are some of my faves!

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   IMHO, strands of pearls, even different colors, tend to read matronly or too expected, formal. I like to mix one strand with a few fine chains, maybe a small pendant hanging from one. I also don't follow "looks". I make my own.

Contributor

I have never liked necklaces on a turtleneck. Instead do earrings and chunky bracelet.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

My usual look is (a) some sort of long scarf or (b) handmade vest or sweater or (c) multiple long gold chains - or (d) some combination of those three.  Depends on my mood.

Definitely going with the multiple pearls for Tuesday meeting.  What other people think about how I look is their problem, not mine.  

Honored Contributor

We had some knockout turtlenecks this year!  A scotch plaid in navy and blue, and a multi colored plaid as wear as a poka dot  I never wore mine!!!  (Although, I wore the heck out of my black or navy and bought backups!).Smiley Happy

There's always next year

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA When I checked out the Coldwater creek website to see what they had to offer I found a few turtlenecks on sale. One was a Supima blend and another was actually a turtleneck T-shirt. Lots of colors!

Honored Contributor
@Andreato

Thanks ... but ...

I’m sticking with LandsEnd since they have best color and fabric selection, and prices. Perfect fit.

Honored Contributor

Turtleneck with some jewelry always looks nice to me.

Honored Contributor

The only time I wear my herringbone is with a turtleneck.  It lays perfectly.

I love black black BLACK turtlenecks.  Have 5 and backups with tags.  Same for navy, like true midnight navy.  

No leather jackets for me, but many nice black quilted vests and outerwear waist length jackets-same effect.

Alas, too warm now for turtlenecks, and that's fine with me!