Honored Contributor

How long do you think a tunic should be - to the very top of your legs, just under your rear end, or a few inches down your thigh? I know a lot of it is a matter of personal preference - I'm just wondering what you think! TIA! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on how long your legs are. I'm 5ft3 and I want a tunic to cover my butt,  any longer than that and it makes my legs look shorter.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am not fond of tunics and I will tell you why.  Tunics add weight to your hips with the extra fabtric covering them.  I think they can work with leggings but not with jeans or pants. Tunics normally fall below the hips.  I like a top to cover my tummy and rear and that can be done with a regular top.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Sometimes a top is presented as a tunic and it stops about an inch below the waist....not a tunic.  Tunics usually cover your rear, but that depends on the height of the person wearing it.  Depending on the fabric and shape, they can be very flattering.

Honored Contributor

I like tunics and thats mostly what I wear.  I think they should be any length you like, I have various lengths.  IMO  they hide my belly fat and hips.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I think tunics make women look taller and thinner particularly if the tunic and bottom are the same color.  

Tunics are about 27-28 inches and fall below the backside.  

I look at them this way.  When my butt was tight and firm, I wore short tops.  Now, that I'm older and it's gotten more difficult to maintain a youthful backside, I prefer tunics covering it. 

Honored Contributor
For me, it depends on the style/cut and fabric and how it “hangs.” Or whether or not it’s a layering piece. Too many variables.

Some I prefer longer and some shorter.

I have longer torso, wide shoulders and narrow body shape.
Esteemed Contributor

The mirror will tell us. I'm petite and have long, solid tunics that look great with leggins and skinny jeans. My printed tunics don't seem to work as well for me. Just not as flattering with the overall look. My printed tunics are shorter in length. Just my experience.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I think that a tunic has to cover the tush or else it is just a long top.  But it is a fluid definition.

Many lengths can work, depends on the cut of the bottom.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I think that a tunic has to cover the tush or else it is just a long top.  But it is a fluid definition.

Many lengths can work, depends on the cut of the bottom.

@Still Raining   Long tops ARE tunics on me. That's what I look for to wear w/ some really tight, revealing skinny jeans. Tunics fall under the category of a dress. Lol