Frequent Contributor

Re: Trying to Stop Buying Lunchtime Specials !

I totally understand what you mean.  I have a rule about lunchtime specials.  It has to be something that I wanted but felt that it was too expensive for me at that price.

I rarely purchase anything on a special that I am seeing for the first time. 

For example, I always loved Joan River's Bee Pins but felt that it was just too pricey for me.  Recently I saw two that I had long admired.  One I wanted for my daughter and the other one for myself.  I ended up getting two for less than the price of one when originally aired.

The best advice is to get into a habit of doing something else when the specials are announced. YOU ARE IN CONTROL.  REMEMBER THAT! 

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@proshop2 wrote:

HELP !  I keep buying  this stuff at 10:00 AM that I'd never buy any other time.    I need an intervention.  I don't need another pair or pants, tshirt, jacket, pair of shoes, dress,earrings, purse for the rest of my life.  I donate the used stuff, and keep buying more.Woman Sad

Just read the reviews. The majority of Luncheon Specials have awful reviews and it is a good way for QVC to unload the duds at lunch.

Just stop looking at them if they tempt you. Tell yourself you have enough and read some books about clutter and simplifying your life.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11

Duds! Ain't that the truth! Woman LOL

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

@proshop2  Congratulations on being brave enough to admit this to yourself and post on this board for all to see.  Isn't that the first step.....recognizing the problem within yourself.  Since retiring from the corporate world, I've donated so many professional clothing items.  Now I need to stop buying clothing for "lunch with girlfriends", too.   I wish you only the best.  How about taking the "EZ Pay" amount on something you would buy and put it right into a savings account or jar.  Bet that $ you'll see accumulating will be a great inspiration to you.  Very best wishes for success. 

Respected Contributor

There are many of us that totally understand. If I see it, I either need or want it or think I need or want it.  ...or it is too good of a price to give up. To say not to watch doesn't work.  It is an addiction.  Start to break the habit of tuning in to the lunch time specials one day at a time.  It is harder than it sounds but if you think about all the things you buy and don't use, it will help.  I actually put a sign on my bathroom mirror as a reminder NOT to buy impulsively, which is one of my downfalls.  I still haven't mastered it completely but I am much much better. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@proshop2 wrote:

HELP !  I keep buying  this stuff at 10:00 AM that I'd never buy any other time.    I need an intervention.  I don't need another pair or pants, tshirt, jacket, pair of shoes, dress,earrings, purse for the rest of my life.  I donate the used stuff, and keep buying more.Woman Sad

Just read the reviews. The majority of Luncheon Specials have awful reviews and it is a good way for QVC to unload the duds at lunch.

Just stop looking at them if they tempt you. Tell yourself you have enough and read some books about clutter and simplifying your life.

Good luck!

I agree.  Most of the lunchtime specials are DREADFUL.  I have found 2 or 3 logo tops, though, that were the exception.  They actually were ones I wanted when they were full price.  

I can't even believe some of the LTS.  They could not pay me to have them send them to me.  Woman Surprised

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

How about turning off your computer and your TV and find something else to do??

If you need help - look for a 12 step program..they all can be adapted to suit the needs of whatever compulsive action you have.

Respected Contributor

Hosts are doing their job and that is to sell..

Unfortunately many people are along, or have not much to do to keep them busy so they look to TV for company. What happens is they often think the hosts are their friends..or talking to them..and they take their word that something is so fantastic they have 2 or they have one for each room, handbag or car etc..

They give the compulsive shoppers a shout out on TV and that just encourages them to buy more...they are not their friends..if something serious happens in their life do they reach out to the host for help/support? No..then they are not their "friend.." they are doing a job..that is to sell!

Honored Contributor

not my problem. I can't get in LOL   Everything is already gone by the time I check. I end up paying full price for a jacket that I see later on for half off or more, but, the only thing left is the xxs LOL

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I can't tell you how many clothes I have bought for "date night," in the past eight years. Lol! And, then, out of the blue last December, I realized I don't WANT any more date nights! So I have a lot of cute clothes to wear for my puppy! Pretty much anymore, if I can't wear it to golf or yoga, it's not in my vision. Pretty much. 

I'm sure your puppy appreciates your keen eye for fashion! Woman Wink