Contributor

Trying to Stop Buying Lunchtime Specials !

HELP !  I keep buying  this stuff at 10:00 AM that I'd never buy any other time.    I need an intervention.  I don't need another pair or pants, tshirt, jacket, pair of shoes, dress,earrings, purse for the rest of my life.  I donate the used stuff, and keep buying more.Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to Stop Buying Lunchtime Specials !

@proshop2

Sounds like you are a compulsive shopper ... not a good thing.  

Obviously, it's time to stop checking out the lunchtime specials.  Or get excited about investing and retirement planning.  Whatever you do, do something else ... and if you really can't stop spending, get professional help.  Seriously.

Esteemed Contributor

@proshop2, you remind me of the woman whose estate I settled two years ago. Her house was filled with thousands of packages from QVC, some unopened, 99% never worn or used. A very organized hoarder. I sent everything to an auction house when she died, and after all expenses were paid, I think the estate received a check for $58,000. Is this the legacy you want? It sure made me look twice at my Q purchases.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

@proshop2, you remind me of the woman whose estate I settled two years ago. Her house was filled with thousands of packages from QVC, some unopened, 99% never worn or used. A very organized hoarder. I sent everything to an auction house when she died, and after all expenses were paid, I think the estate received a check for $58,000. Is this the legacy you want? It sure made me look twice at my Q purchases.

Wow, that is sad.  I bet that happens more often than one would think.  The QVC hosts have a selling technique of making one buy things for "a life you don't have."   That is my sister's thought anyway, and I think it is true for a lot of us.  Personally, I have never "walked on the boardwalk", "gone to lunch with girlfriends" (husbands always present), "gone to a pool party", etc.  The QVC hosts present a perfect life of the perfect outfits to wear, the best face from beauty products, the cleanest home with all their cleaning gadgets and the tastiest food from their kitchen stuff.  Truth be told, we don't need most of the stuff they sell, at least I don't.  I am glad I am aware of that.  My purchases are mostly clothing and a few jewelry items here and there.  But I have some things I have never worn, so I need to be careful myself and keep myself in line because I get sucked in too easily.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Pupply Lips, I totally agree with your post and I've posted similar thoughts before.  The hosts aren't only selling items, they are selling a lifestyle.  Not many people attend numerous holiday parties, have unexpected guests dropping in they need a gift for or need special outfits for x-mas tree cutting or pumpkin/apple picking. 

For me personally, I do check the lunchtime specials daily and I can count on one hand the number of LTS I've bought and I've been shopping with QVC since 1995.  There just isn't anything that interests me.    

Honored Contributor

The lifestyle they are selling truly isn't the way most people live.   I can't even count the number of times I've heard the hosts state..."buy this out to wear out to lunch or for drinks with your girlfriends".  

Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't go out to lunch with my girlfriends every week.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@proshop2

I mean this in the kindest way possible...get a grip!  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

I can't tell you how many clothes I have bought for "date night," in the past eight years. Lol! And, then, out of the blue last December, I realized I don't WANT any more date nights! So I have a lot of cute clothes to wear for my puppy! Pretty much anymore, if I can't wear it to golf or yoga, it's not in my vision. Pretty much. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

My problem is at 10 o'clock at NIGHT, 11 actually, when the TSV's come on in central time.  All reason goes out the window.  And then there's Dimitrii at 9PM.  You have a whole day to think about this, I tell myself.  Then something sells out and I don't wait next time. 

Honored Contributor

Staying off the computer/QVC during those few hours should eliminate the problem.