Trusted Contributor

Re: Trying on Clothing During Covid

In the last 5 months my habits have changed. I couldn't care less about shopping. No where to go anyway. Stay home to eat. Love it. I've saved a ton of money. Not buying gas either.
Honored Contributor

Iwent to Chicos more than a week ago.  I could try items on but had to put what I didn't want on a special rack.  Those items were quarantined for several days.  ...I don't remember how long but I know it wasn't 10 days.

Honored Contributor

I think the last time I was in a major retail clothing store was about 2012/13.  Shopping online is so much easier.  

--------------------------------------------------------

It's not only the virus!  

-------------------------------------------------------

USA Today artical from some years ago (2015)

Dressing rooms aren't the only place where your would-be wardrobe comes in contact with others. From the people who manufactured the clothing, to those who shipped it and others who stocked the racks, there's just no telling how many hands (and other parts) have touched it all.

https://www.today.com/home/do-you-need-wash-new-clothes-wearing-them-verdict-t21801

---------------------------------------------------------

I started washing clothes I order from QVC and elsewhere - several years ago.  I just swish them in some soapy water in the bathroom sink, rinse, and hang over the tub.  Takes 5 minutes.

What was (and still is) so surprising - how dirty the clothes are!  Takes a couple of rinses for the water to run clear. 

I wasn't surprised that SG mentioned numerous times that when she gets her samples delivered - she "throws" tham all in the washer and dryer.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if online returns are handled the same way. 

Respected Contributor

Went to Talbots today; no restrictions on trying on clothes at all.  I am not really concerned about clothing.  If I buy something I always wash before wearing.

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered some bras online from Kohls and the brand changed something because they didn't fit.

I took them back to Kohls (I only tried on one ...the other was still sealed) and got a refund. Their Fitting Rooms were closed.

I am just going to wear what I have until I can try stuff on again.

Honored Contributor

Alratiba:

Yes, I recall Susan Graver mentioning, several times, that she throws all of her new items in the washer as soon as she receives them.  

I was glad to hear that.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Iwent to Chicos more than a week ago.  I could try items on but had to put what I didn't want on a special rack.  Those items were quarantined for several days.  ...I don't remember how long but I know it wasn't 10 days.

@haddon9 Most companies are taking clothes off of the floor 5 days.  I feel that's safe.  Corporate makes those decisions, and the very last thing they want is to be suied.

Honored Contributor

I have no interest in B&M shopping these days, but yes, I always first wash new tops and jeans. I don't wash sweaters.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Trying on clothes not allowed at store, but items could be returned with receipt for a full refund.  Stores had one area that was designated for returns.  The items that were returned would be in quarantine for a period of time before they would be available on the floor for someone else to purchase.