Trusted Contributor

Re: Trying on Clothing During Covid

I don't think trying on pants or jeans or tops over my clothing would tell me if they are a good fit.   But I do understand why it is being done during these times.

I have not been out trying on clothes in stores since some time in February I believe.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in a few boutique type stores at our Galleria and their dressing rooms were available.

I also went to Nordstrom Rack when they had a 40% off everything in the store--the caveat being if you wanted the 40% off, your purchase would be a final sale and their dressing rooms were NOT open.

Clearly a good final sale doesn't stop the masses. Women were undressing down to their skivvies right on the sales floor.🤔

Respected Contributor

At Penneys I don't think there is any guarantine going on as there is only two employees I saw in the store and they were cashiers.  I tried on a couple things, bought some and re-hung the others.  Always before in Penneys there was a rack in the dressing room area to hang rejects for employees to put back but it is no longer there but the rooms are open.  So it is either leave in the dressing cubicle you use for the next person to deal with or re-hang it yourself.  No quarantine and no signs.

Another store I went to in the mall has open dressing rooms and the clerks used to take items you wanted to try on and hold them in a dressing cubicle so you didnt have to carry them around while you were still browsing.  They are no longer allowed to do that - makes no sense to me as they already touched the items while putting them out for display.  If you don't buy the item, they quarantine until the next day.

At Kohls the dressing rooms are not open and if you try something on over your clothes and dont buy it, you have to give it to a clerk to quarantine for 72 hours.  

Disagree with me if you wish, but all this seems like overkill to me.  If it is not safe to open the dressing rooms, it is not safe to open the store and there are many returns because people cannot try on clothes.   I seldom shop at Kohls anyway so it makes no difference to me, but my neighbor has made two trips to return purchases that did not fit after she got them home.  Seems to me this is worse than allowing people to try on clothes in the store.  Evidently, we must not have state guidelines on the use of dressing rooms as all 3 stores I was in handled it differently.

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

I don't think trying on pants or jeans or tops over my clothing would tell me if they are a good fit.   But I do understand why it is being done during these times.

I have not been out trying on clothes in stores since some time in February I believe.

@Newgate You may try on anything, just ask if the clothes are held off of the floor a week are more.

The associates don't want to spread the virus in the community in which they live with their families. 

Honored Contributor

I have not been out anywhere shopping - just shopping online.  

I have always washed everything I purchase before I wear it.  If it is dryclean only I will steam it.  

Honored Contributor

I have ordered on line from Old Navy target and Amazon. I have not done a return to Old Navy yet. My returns to Target and Old.  Navy were credited with out returning the item. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

The last time I tried on clothes in a store was in early March right before everything shut down. Our retail stores are open at reduced capacity & hours. We also have a mask mandate. I’m hearing on social media that most stores in my city have closed dressing rooms. 

I would love to go shopping for clothes and shoes, but I am still staying home a lot due to my risk factors. I prefer in person shopping over online shopping. I make better decisions & fewer mistakes in person. If I can’t try clothes on there’s no point in me going anyway. I see no value in trying things on over the clothes I’m wearing. 

I have purchased a few clothing items online during the shutdown. Fortunately, most worked for me. Returned one & gave my sister another.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't been out shopping for clothing, shoes, etc., for months now. I have a closet FULL of all types of clothing, and I'm not going out much anyway, so why bother shopping now? The only thing I do need now is a new swimsuit, mine is a bit too large now (lost some weight), but it's still use-able since I normally only wear it here in my own pool, with no visitors. I'll wait till spring to buy a new one then.
But, to the original query, I'm not going to try clothing on, over my own clothing, it would defeat the purpose of trying them on, imo. I would have no issue with items tried on being put into "quarantine" for a set period. Better to quarantine the clothing than having to quarantine myself. Again, imo, we have to do whatever we have to do, in order to stop the spread of the virus. Having a new outfit to wear while hanging out at home is just not worth the risk involved, to and for everyone.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Trying on clothes over your  clothing doesn't make much sense to me. When you're  out and about it seems your clothes have the potential to have a lot more germs on them than your body underneath. 

Honored Contributor

I am not concerned with transmission via clothing. But even if I wanted to, I would not go to retail stores now because I don't trust that they will mandate social distancing and masks. I only go to essential businesses, which right now means Trader Joe's.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland