Honored Contributor

Trying on Clothing During Covid

A family member went to the outlet mall while on vacation.

The store was Lacoste.  The rules are that if you try something on, it has to be tried on over clothing.  If you try something on and you don't purchase it, that garment has to go into "quarantine" for 10 days before it can go back on the floor.

If you have been out in retail, what has your experience been with stores RE trying on merchandise?

Respected Contributor

Re: Trying on Clothing During Covid

The stores I've been in have the fitting rooms closed off.  

Honored Contributor

I do not have a problem with this policy and am glad the store put it in place..  I also find it  repugnant for people to try on shoes without socks, stockings or something on their feet.  That practice has been going on long before the pandemic and should be stopped.

I believe whatever is necessary to keep everyone safe, whatever sacrifices must be made is for our protection, why would I not go along with these measures, common sense.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I do not have a problem with this policy and am glad the store put it in place..  I also find it  repugnant for people to try on shoes without socks, stockings or something on their feet.  That practice has been going on long before the pandemic and should be stopped.

I believe whatever is necessary to keep everyone safe, whatever sacrifices must be made is for our protection, why would I not go along with these measures, common sense.

@spiderw 

Devil's advocate here:😈

What if you tried something on, wanted to think it over, went back the next day to complete the purchase and couldn't buy it because it was in quarantine?  Or what if you had to come back at the end of the ten days and it was no longer on sale, for example?

Honored Contributor

Lolakimono

Good questions!

It wouldn't bother me to be honest.  I have passed up articles of clothing along the way and then decided I wanted them.  When I returned to the store, my size was gone or it wasn't the color I wanted.  I am not a fashion maven so it wouldn't be an issue for me. I would place safety above fashion.

Esteemed Contributor

There was a thread on here awhile back where 5 infectious disease experts were each asked the same set of questions.  One was Dr.Fauci, if anyone cares.  Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that they all said they do not wipe down their groceries or their mail.  They didn't see that as threat of contamination being inanimate objects.  I have to say that clothes are kind of the same thing.  First trying on over clothes and then quarantining the garments for 10 days sounds like overkill to me.  JMHO

I was in an upscale thrift store down south a couple months ago and was allowed to use the dressing room - no restrictions.  I would use one now if they were open.  Everyone has to do what makes them feel safe.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

There was a thread on here awhile back where 5 infectious disease experts were each asked the same set of questions.  One was Dr.Fauci, if anyone cares.  Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that they all said they do not wipe down their groceries or their mail.  They didn't see that as threat of contamination being inanimate objects.  I have to say that clothes are kind of the same thing.  First trying on over clothes and then quarantining the garments for 10 days sounds like overkill to me.  JMHO

I was in an upscale thrift store down south a couple months ago and was allowed to use the dressing room - no restrictions.  I would use one now if they were open.  Everyone has to do what makes them feel safe.

@tends2dogs I heard that too about not wiping down everything.  When this first started I did wipe everything down.  I haven't in  a few months now.  I do always wash my hands after touching things.

Honored Contributor

I do have a feeling that we should wash all of our items first.

I've been airing out new clothes for a week or so for years and years. 

Mainly to air out the various chemical odors.

If the odors are still there, I wrap them in newspaper newsprint for a few days. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

The store I work for takes the tried in clothes in the back and keeps them a certain number of days to assure they're safe.  Racks are Numbered 1 Day, 2 Days, and so in.  If you need a size in rotation, we're sorry, we can't get it.

The NC Governor has mandated masks everywhere.  We offer masks, and have sanitizer displayed throughout the store.  

The check out,  credit card machine, and ink pens are sprayed out between each and every customer.  Some have graciously had to wait for the cleaning.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono I have been to the mall several times.  Macys and Dillards allow you to try on clothes, then the items are quarantined.  Penny's and Stein Mart dressing rooms closed but you can return.

The line at Macy's was long...I don't stand in line to try on clothes so I have not purchased anything recently.

I have not seen any signs that require you to try on over top of your clothing....that would be a big no for me.