Honored Contributor

The biggest trends in jeans this past year was the button fly jean.  When jeans were originally invented, Levi Strauss put in the button   It probably was the only option.  Not sure when metal zippers were put in.  Anyway they are very popular again.  I got one by accident.  I got it onlne and misread the button fly on the details.  I usually read the details to find out its 100% cotton or has stretch and how much. Once I got it, I thought it was OK and kept it.  But from then on I had to check the details of jeans to make sure it said zip fly.  Citizens of Humanity recently showed their jean for Spring and summer.  Nearly all of the slim cut jeans had button fly closures.  All  of the skinny and half of the straight stll had zipper closures. The rest did not. j

I thought of this because someone posted a picture of a Levi jean.  I recognized it from a jean I had tried on before in which I didn't buy because it was a button fly. And I thought who ever got the jean without checking the  detail would have been surprised.  Not all clothing companies are doing it.  Frame, 3X1 and rag & bone still offer zipper enclosures. But for anyone buying online, be careful  & read the details before ordering.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trend for button fly jeans

I think they'll be big because it's something new.  Then the momentum will drop like a stone because they're inconvenient among other things.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I think they'll be big because it's something new.  Then the momentum will drop like a stone because they're inconvenient among other things.

Hope so.  I'm not a fan of them.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember a few of those button closures ..........way back when.  They are great for breaking a fingernail.  No thanks    At 9 years old I didn't think about my nails.

Honored Contributor

Wore those back in 69 and 70, my cousin used to get them for me from the Army/Navy store. They were a PITA back then and I was a kid, I would never have the patience to wear them 50 years later.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hated them back in the 60s and 70s (hated how they functioned, not how they looked).

It's for a younger generation for whom it's something new and different.  Pretty sure most of us who did it once won't want to do it again. 

I wonder, though, if the spandex in current jeans makes them easier to button. The combination of button fly and 100% cotton gives me flashbacks to a lot of discomfort. ☺

Respected Contributor

I just got a pair of VC button fly jeans. I have no issues w/ a button fly - obviously as I wouldn’t have bought them.

Honored Contributor

I personally am waiting for Velcro to become the trend.  No patience for buttons.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I personally am waiting for Velcro to become the trend.  No patience for buttons.

Velcro? Ugh! No way. Won’t do shoes with velcro, definitely won’t do jeans with velcro. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sitting here laughing ... imaginng myself having an urgent "call of nature" and trying to get the buttons undone before it's too late!