Honored Contributor

Re: Too old to wear jeans?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner  Well then there are a lot of teenagers around here that are dated and aged because what you describe is exactly what they wear.

@151949    They are TEENAGERS!  They look cute that way; older ladies look not so cute.  That is my point. There's cute vs. sloppy.   There are tons of things teens can get away with!  

That being said, I understand that I am talking about MY preference and about how I have basically stopped wearing jeans except for some outdoor things in the last probably 4 years.  I just don't feel dressed going out in them any more.  I hadn't THOUGHT about it really, but yes, it is age related and the desire to I guess set myself apart as an older lady.

I'm more comfortable now like the Talbots casual look than jeans. . . it is funny because it is NOT something I really thought about until now.  That's why I like to read these boards!  I always learn something--often about myself!

Honored Contributor

Re: Too old to wear jeans?

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

Baby Boomers will have to have jeans pried out of their hands before they give them up. Not in this lifetime!

Not this Boomer!  I seldom wear jeans now.  And as I said above it's because of my age I guess.    I gave up t-shirts with things printed on them when I got to about 45 or 50, and I've moved on in the way I dress.  

I am someone who embraces change and always have!  I am older and I treasure that I made it to older.  So I don't want to do things I've already done, I want to move on to new things--even clothes.  I hope that makes sense.  Even in my high school yearbook what I said was I never wanted to get in a rut!  LOL!!!

Where I would maybe have worn a pair of jeans and a vacation T-shirt 15 years ago, I now would wear a pair of chinos and a solid t-shirt (often black or navy) and some flats or moccs not tennis shoes.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I saw the article on MSN yesterday.  Supposed to stop jeans at 53.  My mother is 81 and still wears her jeans - quite nicely I might add.  I too wear jeans.  Granted I can't wear "junior" jeans the way I once did when I was a size 3 or 5 but I wear a 6 or 8 depending on brand now.  I also love jeggings.  Very slimming.  

Respected Contributor

I think it's funny how you never or rarely see age limit articles related to men being too old for this or too old for that.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@TY wrote:

Baby Boomers will have to have jeans pried out of their hands before they give them up. Not in this lifetime!

Not this Boomer!  I seldom wear jeans now.  And as I said above it's because of my age I guess.    I gave up t-shirts with things printed on them when I got to about 45 or 50, and I've moved on in the way I dress.  

I am someone who embraces change and always have!  I am older and I treasure that I made it to older.  So I don't want to do things I've already done, I want to move on to new things--even clothes.  I hope that makes sense.  Even in my high school yearbook what I said was I never wanted to get in a rut!  LOL!!!

Where I would maybe have worn a pair of jeans and a vacation T-shirt 15 years ago, I now would wear a pair of chinos and a solid t-shirt (often black or navy) and some flats or moccs not tennis shoes.  

I like the way you think. The older I get the more I strive to look elegant. I still wear jeans but pair them with a cashmere sweater in the winter and a beautiful camel hair coat. I don't own a pair of sneakers. In the warmer months I find them too hot to wear.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner Clearly - most boomers disagree with you on this.

Trusted Contributor

Texasmouse wrote:

We are Americans.  We INVENTED jeans.  Not going to have any Brits (or anyone else) telling me when and for how long I can wear my jeans.

Woman LOL ... Sounds like the beginning of a "Boston Jeans Party! ...  Woman LOL

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is rude to other posters

Respected Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

I think it depends on the jean.....not all jeans are created equal and not all jeans look good on everyone.   

Exactly my thoughts too.

As your body changes, you should re-think your choices. Those Levi 501s that you rocked at 30 years old may not be flattering when you are 50 or 60.  

The choices in denim are endless and there are options for everyone. Fit and style are crucial in determining if jeans are flattering or tragic.  

Same with leggings.  Choosing the right fabric and the proper top determine the look.  Not your age.

~Enough is enough~
QVC Customer Care