Esteemed Contributor

Re: Too hard to buy shoes by mail

@San Antonio Gal You are indeed, lucky.  The only footwear I can buy online with a good shot of fitting are sandals.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

i've noticed so many shoe shows on QVC lately. Unfortunately, the three pairs of sneakers that I bought, all had to be returned. It's just too difficult sometimes to buy shoes by mail, and have to pay seven dollars for each pair to be returned. I've decided to go to the outlet stores and try them on right there. The prices are just as good, if not better.

What about the $3.50 to ship them originally, @Effie54 . That is the pretty sum of 10.50 to return. I love shoes and have a very difficult time not purchasing....

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

You need a brand that fits your foot before you can order through the mail.  Shoes have a "last" which is a piece that runs under the center of the foot.  I learned in my 20's that a Spanish last doesn't fit me.

See the source image

Never heard of a "last" @ECBG .  And a Spanish last?  You lost me.

@San Antonio Gal The last is the name for the form the manufacturer uses to build the shoe around.  Different manufacturers typically have different lasts, which is why certain brands fit us better than others.  But each manufacturer has several different lasts too.  I do remember hearing that Spanish shoes ran small.  Maybe that si what @ECBG is referring to.  A lot of shoes used to be made in Spain.  I don't see hardly any Spanish shoes any more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe 

My family had the largest fine shoe store here from WW I until 1980.  A lot of things would be explained to this young teen as "colored" shoes came on the market.  

I remember a pair of SAS heels when I started teaching which I loved because they were bright royal blue, which had a Spanish last.  

My dad explained "lasts" to me when I had a problem with the fit of the shoes.

Honored Contributor

I use to have great luck with Clarks shoes by mail and then all of a sudden that changed and it ended up be hit or miss.  The problem I experienced was with the width of the shoe being too narrow.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

ShopHQ carries a Spanish line: Musse and Cloud. Haven't tried them but I've seen a few I like...

Respected Contributor

I can buy open shoes like open back open front shoes that are adjustable online. Anything closed I cannot buy online. I have done it but I prefer not to. Skechers especially are sketchy 😄 I have frequently found one shoe bigger than the other. I hate sending things back. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I use to have great luck with Clarks shoes by mail and then all of a sudden that changed and it ended up be hit or miss.  The problem I experienced was with the width of the shoe being too narrow.

@Katcat1 The same thing happened to me!  They must have changed the manufacturer.  I only bought them through QVC.  I don't expect to buy them any more.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's the one thing that doesn't work online.  I have purchased shoes from QVC and because I'm in between a medium and a wide (don't you just hate that?) I end up more often returning the shoes.  Although I must say this last time I kept it.  They turned out great (the most recent Sketchers bungee sneaker.)  The fit was near perfect!  But you roll the dice, sometimes you're lin uck you picked the medium, another the wide.    

Esteemed Contributor

Zappos VIP member, here. I don't buy shoes in any store.  Haven't done that since my corporate days and running into Nine West on my lunch breaks!  LOL.  That's over twenty years now.  I own lots of shoes too.  It's a thing I have....you know, a shoe thing...Woman Wink

Also Shoes dot com; is owned by Walmart and always 20-25% off.  Always.  Thing is the shoes they always have the discount for are usually never any that I want.  Large selection and they are like a competitor to Zappos.  They don't always have the same brands though.

Shoes

Zappos

Amazon

And Zappos outlet (which is owned by Amazon just like zappos) 6pm

For all who shop on Amazon you could be earning points for your shoes on Zappos.  Just say'n.  Free shipping to and from and its done quickly!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life