Super Contributor

Re: Too hard to buy shoes by mail

I haven’t been out shopping for over 2 years due to fractured ankle and then lockdown. I buy my shoes usually through Amazon. I’ve gone through multiple sizes that my messed up foot could fit into. When needed I return them through our Kohl’s.
Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I agree!  I used to buy shoes often from the Q but now do not.  The last few pairs I bought had to be returned so now I do not buy shoes and besides i have enough.  

Growing up I used to go to shoe stores which measured my foot, length and width and I rarely had problems with the fit.  These stores still exist but not as they did in the past.  

@spiderw 

I distinctly remember those days! 7Corners was a 'shopping plaza', the closest thing to a mall in the 60s, and there were 2 shoe stores. Apparently we were shoe snobs because we only shopped at Hahns (not Kinneys). Then it was off to the stand alone Lord & Taylor up the street!

It was a once year trip; not every weekend like folks shop now!

And yes to the OP @Effie54 . It's difficult to shop shoes online....try Nordstrom with their free shipping both ways.

Honored Contributor

I buy shoes online if I already have the shoe and want another or if returns are free. Zappos and Amazon Prime offer free returns. Just don't wear the shoes outside or on a rough surface.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have bought tons of shoes and boots online and never had to return anything.

Shoes from here an hsn, amazon and half price shoe stores.  Lots of Bobs, Sporto, Keds.

Always bought them on sale.

My last pair on here were Pikolinos sandals on a lunch time special that I love.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo :  My mother bought all my shoes at Hahns in Silver Spring, twice a year.  The best part (ha ha) was in the early 1950s they had a foot X-Ray machine, so you could check the fit.  Its a good thing we could only afford to go twice a year!

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

are you still in MD? What's that great mall in DC? I think it's called Pentagon...

Honored Contributor

I can barely recall the last time I bought shoes in a store! 

I think it was DSW - easily 8-10 years ago.  It's got to be the worst place in the world to find shoes!  

I usually buy my shoes from Aerosoles, JCP or LandsEnd.  Even bought some shoes and boots from Amazon.  

So far, so good.  They all fit my 8.5 medium feet.

One of my friends is a 6 narrow - always orders her shoes online or from catalogs.

Super Contributor

I have also wearied from sending things back with the expense. This past year has had me inventory all the perfecly good shoes and clothing items barely worn and begin to put more to good use. 

Floral Pillow
Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo : I haven't visited MD in 7 years; I retired to Show Low AZ.  The only mall that might meet your criteria was Crystal City mall ( its underneath the Pentagon).  Where do you live?  Did you live in the D.C. area?

Trusted Contributor

I wear a narrow QVC doesn't carry many. I too got tired of returning shoes to the Q . It costs about $10 to "try a shoe on" at the Q.