Trusted Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

But do I really want a capsule wardrobe? Anyway, I live in 4 seasons, so I need things to accommodate the weather changes.

Maybe the "rule" should be, whenever you buy something new, discard something old. Maybe we'd get a handle on it that way.

On the other hand, I have a number of jeans, but seem to only gravitate to a couple of my favorite pairs. Should I get rid of the others?

I love it. It alleviates stress for me.  The less clothes I have, it seems as if I always easily find something I love to wear.   Since I usually grab the same favorites over and over and over, it works for me. I once went on a buying binge, I had a closet full of clothes, I felt as if I never had anything to wear.  Too many unrelated pieces. I hated getting dressed. 

I got rid of 70% off my clothes and kept my good stuff that I always wore anyway. 

I don't like fast fashion. 

But, not everyone feels that way. Some people are very happy with quantity over quality. Some people need quantity and quality.  Variety is very important to them. It doesn't stress or overwhelm them. Some people enjoy putting many many outfits together. 

Only you can decide if a capsule wardrobe is for you. It's not for everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Too Many Clothes...

[ Edited ]

I am seriously purging 40-items-in-40-days for Lent.  It could be more.  The harder part is not shopping for more clothes.  I get so sick of winter that I tend to over-do for spring.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

But do I really want a capsule wardrobe? Anyway, I live in 4 seasons, so I need things to accommodate the weather changes.

Maybe the "rule" should be, whenever you buy something new, discard something old. Maybe we'd get a handle on it that way.

On the other hand, I have a number of jeans, but seem to only gravitate to a couple of my favorite pairs. Should I get rid of the others?

I love it. It alleviates stress for me.  The less clothes I have, it seems as if I always easily find something I love to wear.   Since I usually grab the same favorites over and over and over, it works for me. I once went on a buying binge, I had a closet full of clothes, I felt as if I never had anything to wear.  Too many unrelated pieces. I hated getting dressed. 

I got rid of 70% off my clothes and kept my good stuff that I always wore anyway. 

But, not everyone feels that way. Some people are very happy with quantity over quality. Some people need quantity and quality.  Variety is very important to them. It doesn't stress or overwhelm them. Some people enjoy putting many many outfits together. 

Thank you for your inspiration, @ILTH ! (et. al.)

Perhaps if I had a capsule for spring/summer, then fall/winter. I think I want to work on that!

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

Thank you for your inspiration, @ILTH ! (et. al.)

Perhaps if I had a capsule for spring/summer, then fall/winter. I think I want to work on that!

I live in 4 very different seasons, too.

I'd say I have 3 capsule wardrobes? 

1 for winter

1 for fall and spring

1 for summer

There is overlap in them. Jeans are for all seasons, for example.

Respected Contributor

@Gorgf this is a great idea in theory. but..... i have zero desire to wear the same good quality, great basics, year after year.

adding different embellishments. dull as dishwater to me. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is how I felt during my clothes binge adventure. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFeLSrLSXFY

Super Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I am seriously purging 40-items-in-40-days for Lent.  It could be more.  The harder part is not shopping for more clothes.  I get so sick of winter that I tend to over-do for spring.  

Thats a great idea for Lent. Spring is short lived usually for us. March  and April can be more like winter and then  June can be really hot. 

Floral Pillow
Respected Contributor

We have a Salvation Army Thrift store. The Autumn season must be a closet cleaning time as they could not keep up and were refusing donations until caught up, only a few days between. We also have a Humane Society Thrift shop which takes items . I donate my nicer brand name items to them. I had a load of fabric Dooney Bags, probably 10 I dropped off. I am having a wool classic coat cleaned and am donating. The shop is doing well for our shelter and seems busy.

There are many other places,besides Goodwill to donate as other posters have mentioned. Upon retiring, I certainly do not need many of my clothes and handbags.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a documentary on Netflix called Fast Fashion. It goes to the countries where clothes are made and how it impacts the environment and people. It was a wake up call for me and makes me more thoughtful  purchasing clothes.

Our town gives us special bags where we can put out our clothes on garbage collection day. A independent company sorts through which can be donated and those that can be recycled.  It makes it easier to just bring it out to the curb and know that some will be recycled.  There was another story on npr a couple of years ago that discussed the impact of non natural fibers on the environment.  They emphasized to put ratty and beat up clothes In the bags because they can be recycled nstead of throwing them in the garbage.  I try my best to but cotton or bamboo or other natural fibers but it’s difficult. 

Here is the npr link if you are interested. 

https://www.npr.org/2016/04/08/473513620/what-happens-when-fashion-becomes-fast-disposable-and-cheap