Valued Contributor

I can purge and thin out everything in my house until it comes to my clothes. Everything I own is pretty much classic so most will never go out of styel. I have taken very good care of my clothing and love soo much of it but I go up and up and down and up and up in weight. I just cant seem to get rid of clothes. I need someone to come over here and make me do this. My clothes are so very beautiful and I just cant do it. I try two times a year and I might get two blouses or pants out and thats it.

Beckyblu

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee That's my rule,too.  When I buy something I get rid of something.  This is how I keep my closets and dresser drawers manageable. My DH has more clothes than me,his closet is stuffed!  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Hi to @Annabelle and everyone who posted here.  I will admit I have an over-the-top amount of clothing, shoes, handbags, scarves, and jewelry.  I am starting to cull, but the task is daunting.  I have people I can give to and we routinely give to the Vietnam Vets.  I guess my motto should be “What was I thinking?”  I am retired, have a quiet lifestyle, and seems I was buying for the life I used to have, not what I have now.  I also know I have to avoid temptation - from shopping channels, catalogs, websites, etc.  Oh, DH also has a huge amount of clothing as well.  

Honored Contributor

Last summer when I moved from Texas to my current location, I found that to be a great time to purge.  I donated a ton of clothing and shoes to Goodwill.  I couldn't see the point of taking a bunch of clothing with me that I was more than likely never going to wear. 

You never realize how much "stuff" you have until you have to move!  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy --- can I ever identify!  I have enough clothes to outfit an army of women.  I am now in the process of going through several closets and boxes full of clothing, shoes and bags.  Having recently retired, I will have no use for the majority of my clothing.  Don't think me crazy --- but this is really hard for me to part with a lot of them as I have some really beautiful things and it is difficult for me to part with them!  But I know they can really be of good use to a lot of people.  I am donating most of them to the Am Vets.  They are a very worthwhile organization and will come right to the door to get them!  Wish me well as this is a rather daunting challenge!  Woman Frustrated

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@CAMOGIRL

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@CAMOGIRL

When I re-read your categories:  there ends up being two,  Fit and like (“keep”) vs. donate.   Makes the division easier.

Downsizing and decluttering are hard jobs but well worth the effort.  The sense of freedom and lessening wasted time going through the stuff taking up space are your dividends !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

High five, sister!!!!  I got rid of a TON of clothes last year including 36 pairs of shoes, many, many  purses and 40 pairs of assorted pants. Need to do alot more too. DD is going to help me with that--My closet is stuffed full of stuff I can't wear anymore do to having ------no chest----am flat as a pancake from cancer surgery and the tops are way too big and baggy. why are they still in there???? gotta find new homes for them all. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  Thanks for your nice words.  I sometimes wonder if some of the things I say sound like I'm bragging; but actually, typing it, or saying it out loud is me 'confessing' that I know it's stupid and I know WHY. 

I think knowing WHY we do stuff like 'over-buying' and all helps us to better understand ourselves.

This is the only place I come to where I discuss this stuff.  By talking to others it helps us realize how similar so many of us really do have similar likes, dislikes and (for want of a better word) 'problems'.

Have a wonderful Valentines Day.  I don't think you have to be with or have a lover to have a happy Valentines Day.  I think of it more of a day to realize how lucky we are to have people who LOVE US, family and all.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I use Vietnam Vets of America....they come to your house for pickup and leave a tax receipt,  I don't even have to leave my home, just schedule a pickup date.  

@BadWolf wrote:

Please consider other outlets besides Goodwill.  They are really not a charitable organization and there are so many others out there.

Goodwill gives lower income familys a place to cloth their families. i would bet little girls love to shop the goodwill.  when i was a child all i wanted was enough clothes to wear to school.