Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ  Thanks for your nice words.  I sometimes wonder if some of the things I say sound like I'm bragging; but actually, typing it, or saying it out loud is me 'confessing' that I know it's stupid and I know WHY. 

I think knowing WHY we do stuff like 'over-buying' and all helps us to better understand ourselves.

This is the only place I come to where I discuss this stuff.  By talking to others it helps us realize how similar so many of us really do have similar likes, dislikes and (for want of a better word) 'problems'.

Have a wonderful Valentines Day.  I don't think you have to be with or have a lover to have a happy Valentines Day.  I think of it more of a day to realize how lucky we are to have people who LOVE US, family and all.

i too recognize myself in your post.  i am going to do a purge soon.  i keep just looking at certain items in my closet and never putting them on my back.  Its nice that we have each other on these boards.  Happy Valentines day!

Respected Contributor

@BadWolf wrote:

Please consider other outlets besides Goodwill.  They are really not a charitable organization and there are so many others out there.

I absolutely do NOT agree with you.  This kind of hype has been out there for awhile.  The Goodwill in my small town is a huge benefit to people in many ways.  Thank goodness for the jobs they provide to people who otherwise might not be employable. 

I am happy to donate clothing to them because so many ladies are able to get some fantastic deals.  It's amazing how much clothing is practically brand new.  I know I donate many items that are barely worn.  I guess a lot of us gals have a over purchasing problem.  Ugh.

Trusted Contributor

@BadWolf

Totally agree about no donations to Goodwill.  Goodwills are privately owned. I have seen the waterfront mansion where the owners here reside.  Also seen the mansion on another island in SC where the owners there reside.  Unbelievable.  

Goodwill's In my FL area price their goods high and sell the very good stuff online.  Many friends have boycotted Goodwill. 

We all have options!  I donate to local church thrift stores and Salvation Army. 

Honored Contributor

So far this season, I've donated 12 bags to Goodwill.   I have no issue with giving to Goodwill.   They are a registered non-profit.  

I tend to hold on to things too long thinking I might wear them again but this season I did a good pruning.   All but one of my suede and leather coats are gone, and I donated a couple of my Basso coats.

Honored Contributor

Re: Too Many Clothes...

[ Edited ]

@MomCat wrote:

@BadWolf wrote:

Please consider other outlets besides Goodwill.  They are really not a charitable organization and there are so many others out there.

I absolutely do NOT agree with you.  This kind of hype has been out there for awhile.  The Goodwill in my small town is a huge benefit to people in many ways.  Thank goodness for the jobs they provide to people who otherwise might not be employable. 

I am happy to donate clothing to them because so many ladies are able to get some fantastic deals.  It's amazing how much clothing is practically brand new.  I know I donate many items that are barely worn.  I guess a lot of us gals have a over purchasing problem.  Ugh.

@MomCat

Totally agree with you about Goodwill.    Excellent organization.

Respected Contributor

Well, as I wrote in a previous post above, I got rid of a ton of stuff.  Have not gotten to my shoes yet.  I have gorgeous shoes from when I was working, classic pumps and slingbacks but now I live mostly in wedges or flats or skechers.  I am donating all my 3" heels as I now love and wear kitten heels when I need to dress up (love Isaac's kitten heels) but I cannot walk in those high heels anymore and love the look of the kitten heel (pointed toe, closed or slingback). 

Now here is my real problem.  I have tons and I mean tons of all the classic Joan Rivers jewelry she sold when she first appeared on the Q.  Also vintage Nolan MIller, Kenneth Jay Lang and some expensive real jewelry that I no longer care for.  I do not do Ebay so I am trying to find a buyer.  I look at all this stuff, and even my DH said wow these are gorgeous pieces, but I do not get the chance to wear most of it.  So I just look at everything once in a while and put it all back. They are like pieces of art to me.

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals

Jewelry is a tough one!  I too have way too much jewelry (a lot from Q when I first started watching) and I tend to wear the same few pieces over and over.  I could open a small store with the pins I have bought over the years and never wear.  I love Honora but don't wear my pearls often enough.  Being retired makes a big difference in how I dress and accessorize.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have cut back considerably in my clothing purchases, especially at the Q.  Being retired has really changed how I dress and what I need.  I clean out my closets every winter when I am stuck indoors on snowy days!  Feels good to purge and donate.  I wear a lot from Talbots because I am short and their Petites fit me well.  When I worked I bought almost all my clothes from them.  I actually unsubscribed from their email list because every time they emailed me a good coupon, etc. I would order something!  I was a very good customer for years so I have the credit card with the perks!  It's hard to stop buying when you look at the catalogues and emails, but I am getting much older and wiser!!

Esteemed Contributor

Since retiring I really need to get rid of my office clothes, but I just can’t I have so much money invested.  I have a walk-in closet plus 2 closets full.  I have enough clothes I need never buy again lol.

Super Contributor

I have so many, too many clothes and art jewelry. For almost a year, I have been on a campaign to wear or donate it all. I pull out several pieces at a time and plan outfits around them, then hang them on a rolling rack. When I get dressed in the am, I choose one depending on mood, weather,etc.

If it doen’t please me after wearing it all day then I put whatever did not work into the prep for donation bag, then wash, dry clean or etc. to donate.

I read above about someone putting “ratty” or “faded” things in their donation bag. I personally don’t put in anything I would not wear myself and throw away the worn out items.

I never do Nate any jewelry. I am a jewelry pig!