Honored Contributor

Tolani - I changed the sleeves

[ Edited ]

I bought this top back in December - washed it and hung it in the closet until warmer weather.  

I loved the color, and I knew there was an issue with the sleeves when I bought it - sleeves were too long and you could see thee wrong side of the fabric in the ruffle at the wrist.  You can even see it in the picture.  That ruffle at the wrist is 24 inches around - a really wide sleeve opening.  

Tolani Collection Ruffle Cuff Printed Top - A389943

A389943

Finally took it out yesterday to "fix" the sleeves.  They were 3 and 1/4" too long - so fix was easy.  I removed the elastic casing at the wrist and folded up the excess fabric as a hem facing.  "Killed two birds with one stone."

Sleeves are now have a 24" wide opening sleeve with a 3" facing and now just the perfect length.  This sleeve shape looks better with the top.

It's been a good afternoon!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tolani - I changed the sleeves

@ALRATIBA    Good for you, for making this alteration in order to make this pretty top right for you.  

I used to sew and make my own clothing...something I haven't done for at least 20 years, but as a result of doing that, I know how to do alterations on anything I buy that isn't quite right.  Hemming is the most common alteration, but I'll tackle other issues as well. 

Respected Contributor

Good job!  I love when I can fix a piece of clothing to fit me better.  I used to sew a lot in my younger years but don’t now.  I still know enough to do some simple alterations which comes in handy. 

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

Great that you have the creativity to do this yourself, I'm envious!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I find it very sad that so few people can do even a simple hem.  It's such an easy thing to do.  I made sure even my son had basic sewing skills so he could make repairs on his clothing.  As an officer in the USAF, I used to have young people come to me wanting me to sew on a button for them.  I wouldn't do it but I'd show them what to do. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I find it very sad that so few people can do even a simple hem.  It's such an easy thing to do.  I made sure even my son had basic sewing skills so he could make repairs on his clothing.  As an officer in the USAF, I used to have young people come to me wanting me to sew on a button for them.  I wouldn't do it but I'd show them what to do. 

@Kachina624 

When my son was a cub scout there was a badge for basic sewing skills.  I remember helping him learn how to sew on a button. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

My son was also in scouts.  I don't remember a sewing badge, but my son would go to overnight camps every summer, and a sewing kit was always one of the required items to pack.  Before one of his trips, he informed me that he wouldn't know what to do with anything in that kit, if needed.  

We sat down right then and there and I gave him basic stitching lessons, starting with threading the needle and tying the knot.  Anyone can learn these  simple skills....someone needs to show them how it's done 😊

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA  Good for you.  Now you have a blouse that you can enjoy wearing.

I did something similar with a blouse I purchased.  

I snipped a couple of stitches and took off the white ruffle at the cuffs.  I like the blouse much better without the white ruffle. 

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Trusted Contributor

nicely done