Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today I received a free shirt!

@Andreatoo wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

The only other time that it's happened to me was decades ago and it was auto parts! Lol

But I don't understand the thinking behind the legislation. The companies are basically being penalized for a mistake. I don't understand why, if they make arrangements at their own expense to get it back, they can't do it? 

It is to protect people from scams.  Some people would probably rather pay for something than return it.  How many times have you read a post by someone who received something they don't like, but they won't return it because of the hassle and donate it instead?  I know in the case of QVC, it irritates me that I have to spend time repackaging the wrong merchandise, going to the post office and sending it back, and then waiting to get the right thing.  Maybe they are just sending me the stuff no one wants hoping I just won't say anything. Trust me, that is what it looks like; I have never received from QVC anything more valuable or desirable than what I ordered.  They can then re-sell the desirable merchandise I ordered to someone else.

Respected Contributor

Several years ago I received a man’s shirt that I did not order with my Land’s End order.   I contacted them and they asked me to send it back which I did (they paid for the return).  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To be honest, If that happened to me where I received an additional something that I did not order, I probably would not have made a phone call to open up the door for me needing to go through the hassle of returning an item that I did not order. Calling, re-packing, going to post office, etc., why should I have to do all of that for someone's error?  It's the company's mistake so too bad, the item now is mine. I know this reply will be distasteful to some, but that's my truthful answer.

Once I ordered a woman's winter hat and gloves from Land's End and instead received a men's bathrobe. I did call, send back the robe, and eventually got the hat and gloves.

Esteemed Contributor

I was sent two Apple products from COSTCO and they would not take back the extra even at the store. No one in my family wanted the extra because they already owned one.

I did not know there was a law/regulation the company had to let you keep product. I felt so guilty as it was an expensive item.

I ended up giving it to a friend who managed a senior center and they put it to good use.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo

The top you were sent is very cute, but holy cow, I don't think I could have worn that at 20. But thinking back to the dip I was at 20, I may have worn it...I did wear a tube top from time to time. But at least tube tops squished the bosom. Smiley Happy
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I once was double-shipped a hoodie.  The post office told me it came in on the same numbered shipping label.  So I had to pay the PO the postage on the duplicate.  I contacted the Social Team and they refunded me that money plus some extra.  And I got to keep the shirt.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

The only other time that it's happened to me was decades ago and it was auto parts! Lol

But I don't understand the thinking behind the legislation. The companies are basically being penalized for a mistake. I don't understand why, if they make arrangements at their own expense to get it back, they can't do it? 

@Andreatoo - That law was set up a very long time ago.  It was to protect people from companies that would send out unsolicited materials (books, records, etc.) and then demand payment.  They would threaten you with a lawsuit, if you didn't pay up or return the items (at your expense).

I don't think the law covers things such as a mistake in an order you actually placed, but that would involve more research than I'm prepared to do.

IMO, you did the right thing and you can feel good knowing that.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

It is to protect people from scams.  Some people would probably rather pay for something than return it.  How many times have you read a post by someone who received something they don't like, but they won't return it because of the hassle and donate it instead?  I know in the case of QVC, it irritates me that I have to spend time repackaging the wrong merchandise, going to the post office and sending it back, and then waiting to get the right thing.  Maybe they are just sending me the stuff no one wants hoping I just won't say anything. Trust me, that is what it looks like; I have never received from QVC anything more valuable or desirable than what I ordered.  They can then re-sell the desirable merchandise I ordered to someone else.

@NYCLatinaMe - That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  If you really think that, you need to shop elsewhere.  Why would you even consider dealing with such an unscrupulous company?  Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo  I have had this happen many times, but not with clothing.  I always contact CS, usually through CHAT.  I have always been told thank you for your honesty and to keep, donate, or trash the item.  I wouldn't feel right otherwise.  

I have never had to return anything.  

Was it anything you would wear? Woman Very Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo  I guess I was a little late on my reply and didn't see what you did or what you got.  I would wear that top UNDER something.  Yea, like you said, too bad it wasn't a leather jacket or at least a belt.  LOL Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!