Respected Contributor

Re: To slip or not to slip...

I found several very nice half slips at a Vanity Fair outlet just before the pandemic closures.   I like to have one or two to wear.  These came in "nude" (a light tan) black and white.  Picked up one of each and have worn a couple of times with skirts in winter.  I just like the feel of a slip with some skirts.   I also have several old slip tops that I like to wear with shear blouses.  I don't always want the weight of a cami (and I don't like the skinny t type of garment).  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

No because most of my dress clothes are already lined.  I do have a couple of old ones of various lengths in the back of the drawer, I need to toss them. 

@mspatmac 

I cannot stand the linings they put in dresses.  Ugh.  I cut mine out.

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

I found several very nice half slips at a Vanity Fair outlet just before the pandemic closures.   I like to have one or two to wear.  These came in "nude" (a light tan) black and white.  Picked up one of each and have worn a couple of times with skirts in winter.  I just like the feel of a slip with some skirts.   I also have several old slip tops that I like to wear with shear blouses.  I don't always want the weight of a cami (and I don't like the skinny t type of garment).  

@Jk9 

Slips and graceful and feel good against the skin and those jockey pant-liner things remind me of my grandmother's.  That is what she wore back in the 1940s.  EEkkks.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

Yes, I wear slips, both half and full slips. More often i wear a full slip, especially w/ knit dresses and skirts. I believe it allows all dresses to hang better on my body, it helps prevent annoying back/bra bulges, keeps skirt/dress from sticking to your backside and reduces any see thru issues. I also find most linings to be cheaper/stiffer fabric and I don't like the feel against my body. 

@kate2357 

i agree, a slip helps a dress hang nicely and not stick.  when i worked i wore skirts and dresses and always wore either a full or half slip. especially wearing tights i'd get the skirt riding up the patootie so i wore a slip.

now i wear a skirt sometimes but nothing sheer...

one thing we don't hear much anymore "Your Slip is Showing"!

@CatsyCline 

Now that sure brings back some memories!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

havent worn a slip in many years now.

spanx and other similar types of these undergarments have taken their place.

i have no desire to ever wear a slip again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@haddon9  I don't understand how skimmies substitute for a slip.  I wear a half slip to prevent see through.  I have a pair of skimmies which I have yet to wear.  Don't see how it would serve the same purpose as a slip.

skimmies/spanx.....so much more comfortable than slips and create a nice smooth line.

even if it is a bit see through, what are you going to see?......legs.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I don't wear skirts or dresses very often, but when I do, I often wear a slip.  The slip helps the garment glide over me.

Respected Contributor

I wear slip shorts under my maxis and midis. I like them much better than slips.
Honored Contributor

Since I see fellow slip fans on this thread, JCP has Vanity Fair full and half slips online.  Can't say for sure if they are in the stores.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I wore slips years ago, mostly half-slips,  when I wore dresses and skirts, but can't recall the last time I even wore one. I had a cotton batiste one that I could actually wear in the heat but never could handle the nylon ones. I think that slips went away for most women decades ago when pants became more the mainstream for many. I can't tolerate another layer of anything in the high heat. If a shirt or top requires a cami, it's not for me.