Respected Contributor

Re: To slip or not to slip...

I think I gave up wearing a slip about the same time I gave up wearing pantyhose.
Respected Contributor

I don't wear many dresses now that I've retired and most of the dresses/skirts I own are lined. I still have my old slips, but I'm not sure how well they'd fit now. I just searched "slip" on Her Room and came up with a lot of results running the full gamut from pettislips to full slips. The prices weren't too bad either. 

Honored Contributor

@turtle52 wrote:

I wear Jockey Skinnies under dresses. Much better than a slip iMHO.

I wear something similar.  Much more comfortable than a slip in my opinion.  I haven't really worn a slip since  jr. high....1968. 

When we were finally allowed to wear pants to school in the fall of that year (ninth grade) I stopped wearing dresses & skirts.

I wore a gown to my DD's wedding in May.  I wore long (mid thigh) skimmies under it.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9  I don't understand how skimmies substitute for a slip.  I wear a half slip to prevent see through.  I have a pair of skimmies which I have yet to wear.  Don't see how it would serve the same purpose as a slip.

Honored Contributor

@turtle52 wrote:

I wear Jockey Skinnies under dresses. Much better than a slip iMHO.

Same here; I haven't worn a slip in years.  I don't think I even own one now.  

I very seldom wear dresses, but I do love those Jockey Skinnies when I have to wear a dress or skirt.

Esteemed Contributor

I very rarely wear dresses or skirts.  The few that I do own are a thick enough material that I don't need to wear one.  I used to have several full and half slips in various colors but not anymore.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:
I admit that since I retired I only have a need to wear a slip a couple times a year. But I still have a drawer full of slips in every color and length imaginable. I probably should donate them.

Ladies don't appear to wear slips anymore, and most should.

When I lived at home my Mom would make sure I wore a slip whenever I wore a dress or skirt. So I had a drawer of nothing but slips. All these years later, I sound like you, @tototwo  I still have a drawer with every type of slip and numerous different colors.

I rarely have an occasion to wear a dress since retiring. Time to clear out that drawer. 

Respected Contributor

@Franklinbell  ABSOLUTELY ...  with every skirt/dress that I wear.   I have several colors and lengths.

Honored Contributor

I haven't owned any slips since college days...haven't worn skirts or dresses in decades. Kinda difficult to wear a slip with with jeans.

Valued Contributor

Another who hasn't worn a slip in years.  We used to call them petticoats when I was a kid.

I do recall wearing a mis-matched pair of shoes to work once.  I was moderately mortified.