Honored Contributor

Re: To slip or not to slip...

I haven't worn a slip since my teens (68 now). I don't own one. Actually, I didn't think anyone owned/wore slips anymore!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have several, black and nude, half and full.  I still wear them.

I have a friend that was in a supervisory position...this was about 10-12 years ago. She had young women that were wearing dresses and skirts that were very thin and you could see right thru them.  This was a job were the women were in the public view as well as going into peoples homes.

The were a lot of complaints from people in the office that the young women needed to be either wear a slip or dress differently....when she spoke with them they had no idea what a slip was.

Trusted Contributor

@Franklinbell  Yes, I still wear a half slip when I wear a skirt or dress, which is not very often anymore.

The ones I have are also showing their age.  Not sure where you can even buy a slip now. 

A few years ago I bought some nice cotton half slips from The Vermont Country store. 

I like the cotton ones in the summertime.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Regular Contributor

Nope. Got rid of all of them when I quit wearing dresses (as in working). 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely still wear slips.  A half slip, haven't worn a full slip in decades.  Had one on yesterday.  I always hold the material up to the light to see if it's see through.  

Esteemed Contributor

I admit that since I retired I only have a need to wear a slip a couple times a year. But I still have a drawer full of slips in every color and length imaginable. I probably should donate them.

Ladies don't appear to wear slips anymore, and most should.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I remember my mom having a full drawer of slips!

I wore a full slip recently when I attended a wedding.  My dress wasn't lined and I don't think it was too sheer, but just wanted to be on the safe side.  I have a couple casual knit skirts that I'll wear one with too.  I don't mind them at all, even if it's warm out.

Respected Contributor

I have a skirt that is thin and requires a half slip.  That is the only time I wear one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't worn a dress much less a slip in 35 years, maybe more. I never wore a dress to work, never wore a dress to interviews either. Haven't worn panty hose in decades either. Both would be so hot and miserable in 100 degrees plus heat.

Honored Contributor

I have several cotton dresses that I wear when I'm at home alone.  Occasionally I go outside long enough to walk the garbage to the curb or to get the mail.  Never add a slip. 

I think the only slip I have belonged to my mother -  based on its size and quality I believe it came from her life before the Great Depression.