Regular Contributor

Tired of underwire bras cutting into you??

I have worn underwire bras by different brands but got tired of the wires poking through or maybe heavy plastic bands breaking. So rather than throwing them out as I used to do, I cut the wires or plastic out & wear them without. Don't really see much difference so that's what has worked for me.

Valued Contributor

Re: Tired of underwire bras cutting into you??

I used to have that problem. My girls need that underwire support. I have been wearing the Chantelle bras. The are pricing but to me worth it. 

Honored Contributor

Wacoal, style 855192. Have never had a problem with the underwire. Very comfortable bra. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

NovemberBaby:  I've always done the exact same.  I use a small Xacto knife, and make a teeny-tiny hole on one side of each cup, and pull out the wire.    For whatever reason, many of the bras in stores that appeal to me seem to be underwire. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I find strange that, in some stores, all they have are those yucky molded foam cups .... no regular bras!    Foam cups for as far as the eye can see ....  lol

Honored Contributor

I wear Genie Bras most days.  I do have a few standard bras, under don't bother me until the bra gets old.  Then I snip the bra and pull the wire out.  Honestly, I don't think those wires do darn thing anyway,

Honored Contributor

I usually don't have problems with the wires in my bras. If they happen to break through, then in the trash they go. I have to wear underwires because I have such a small chest, 32 and my cups are DD so I need the support of the wires...my ribcage is too small for my girls.

Respected Contributor

Tink, the wonderful bras they used to sell are gone!!!! Only those hard foam things. Who on earth wants those?

Tried some from here and other places but can't find anything to compare-----sniff!

Regular Contributor

I wear only underwires because for some reason soft cup bras never seem to stay in the right place on me.  They usually ride up for some reason.  Underwire bras stay where I put them!  I don't find them uncomfortable.

Anyway, if your underwires are cutting into you, you may be wearing the wrong size bra.  The "wire" part should lie fairly flat on your ribcage and there should be no poking.

Valued Contributor

I like the fit of a few Barely Breezie bras and need underwires.  I cannot wear those moulded cup things at all.  They seem to sit with a life of their own that has nothing to do with the body inside.

Every time I find a BB that fits, they discontinue it.  I recently bought 5 off the QVC As Is site since they won't be continued.

I do find that the wires pop out under my arms awfully easily.  First I hand stitch over the hole, then when that stops working, I sew chamois over the edge of the bra.  It is a lovely look.... not.

Finally, I pull them out and call them "house bras".

I really wish Breezies could address this issue.