Valued Contributor

Tired of all the bell sleeves and cold shoulders.

[ Edited ]

I was shopping today and the sleeves are bell, two tiered, long, elbow length and just too much. I bought one a few months ago and those bell sleeves just get in the way.

Cold shoulder tops are just not my thing. Seems older woman are wearing them more than the younger ones. (I am an older woman and just don't like them).

Wonder if these two trends will stick around like the shark bite hems have?

Valued Contributor

Re: Tired of all the bell sleeves and cold shoulders.

I liked it when George Simonton said the shark, I think he said fin, bite hems were out of date in his mind. I was hoping he was saying what the fashion shows were saying. But, I later realized it was only his opinion. And with the long hemline in the back on a dress, I can see someone getting her heel caught in that hem while going up a staircase and falling all the way down. A model this afternoon was stepping off the platform on the Q and her heel was brushing up against that hem. I'm thinking it was during the Clark's show. Just too easy to get tangled up and take a nasty fall.

Respected Contributor

I like some of the bell sleeves that are bracelet length and moderately belled.  Would not buy long sleeves with full or tiered bells - too much for me.

As far as cold shoulder, many look good in if the should hole is properly made.  I don't wear them because I have moles on my shoulders - not a good look for me.  I do see cute ones on others, but also some that look weird - depends on how they are designed.

Honored Contributor

I remember about ten years ago "sleeve interest" was being talked about on the Q.  I ended up getting two tops by Modern Soul (modal and spandex) in light blue and black.  I still own both.  A74267

(the number still comes up but obviously says sold out.  I couldn't copy the image.)

The cuffs are shirred.

I still think they work today.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I don't like/wear them either.  For cold shoulder, I think I'll have to wait until warm weather to see who's wearing them.  I'm seeing a few bell sleeve. LOGO style tunics have been fairly common this winter among the women I see at various functions / luncheons / meetings. 

And - seeing lots of layering tunics over long sleeve tops.   But - that could be just because it's been so cold.  Spring will tell.

Last summer, cold shoulder tops were REALLY popular in NYC.  I'd see several women wearing them every time I was out somewhere.

@shopperqvcwrote:

...... And with the long hemline in the back on a dress, I can see someone getting her heel caught in that hem while going up a staircase and falling all the way down. 

That would be an accident waiting to happen here up and down subway steps, on and off buses, in and out of taxis.  Back about 10 years or so, a coworker wore a maxi dress on one of our casual Fridays - had a bad fall coming up the subway steps.  Some styles look great on the model on  TV ... but just don't work in real life.

Honored Contributor

Some of the comments have tickled me to death.  I like 3/4 sleeves or shorter.  The models always push up the sleeves when they are long.  That tells me somthing.  I don't care for bell sleeves, cold shoulder, bell bottoms, maxi dresses, jumpsuits, collars, popping collars, pantyhose, girdles, tight stuff, pointed toe shoes, high heels, or bras, socks or panties.  I do wear panties and bra but don't like it!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

tinker1121.....RIGHT THERE WITH YA !  Never in a MILLION YEARS would I purchase either one of those styles.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Me too.....Also, cut out areas. I tried on a two piece dress that I thought was so cute, but of all things it had a cut out right in the middle of the back, that was like a big circle that showed my bra strap. Completely ruined the cute dress IMO. Grrrr 😠

Honored Contributor

I have always loved and worn many cold shoulder tops which have been around since the '70's (and before from looking at old movies and tv shoes) but bell sleeves and flutter sleeves along with maxi dresses, scarves and conservative clothing are just not for me.  It's a good thing that there are styles for everyone available and with the internet styles to please everyone can be readily found!

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning! I have always liked tops with some extra interest. But, not to over board. I like instead of cold shoulder tops some  crochet openings around the shoulder and as far as bell sleeves top go, I like them three quarter and with a smaller bell style. I do not for the most part like boring fashions.