Honored Contributor

Re: Time to Stop Buying Summer Clothes For Me

@Sooner 

I usually stock up when there are end-of-season sales.  Last year - I hit a jackpot and got a lot of summer casual clothes.

So -  for everyday clothes and shoes - I have plenty. 

I don't buy "multi-purpose, you-can-wear-everywhere, dress-it-up/dress-it-down clothes.  

I'll still be buying clothes and shoes to wear "out."  

Honored Contributor

I have been buying a lot the last few months for spring/summer.....so where am I going?  No big plans for a summer getaway since our funds are going to DD's wedding and a bathroom renovation in July.

I did lose almost 30lbs. since the fall so I have gone down a size or two depending on the item...my excuse for buying but I am buying too much!  Maybe it's because when I was a kid I didn't have much so I'm making up for it later in life.

May has been a very strange month regarding the weather in SE PA!  Mother's day weekend was awful!  The Saturday before we had torrential rain all day, heavy wind and temps below 50.

This past weekend we were in the upper 90s (with heavy humidity yesterday).  It looks like we may be having a bit of an AC problem...fingers crossed on that!!....the weather has been up & down so I never know what I'm going to wear.  

However it's always lovely on my birthday (today!)....low humidity, sunny, 68 right now with a high of 70!  We're going out to dinner and will be sitting outdoors.  I will wear a new pair of capris and a nice new top. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@haddon9   Most importantly--happy birthday.  And enjoy your recent purchases guilt free.

I have been doing a higher amount of clothing purchases, some accessories, and shoes the last three to four months--mostly cooler weather items but a few summer items mixed in, including a new bathing suit. 

No big summer plans yet but it is always nice to freshen up my wardrobe as I have been clearing out some of my "seen better days" or "Seriously?" things.

I don't anticipate prices going down any time soon so that has also motivated me as well.  For almost all of my purchases I took advantage of really good sales and cash back rebates--Banana Republic, Macy's, Lands End, Bealls, Belk, Soft Surroundings, and the bathing suit was a Jantzen from QVC.

Now I'll take a big breather until the Q's Christmas in July kickoff in late June.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

For me , I purchased 3 dresses for special summer  events , however had refreshed all my cotton tops within the  last 2 yrs. Got rid of all my old faded  summer shirts .

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I'm done with buying clothes pretty much in general.  I just don't have the interest.  BUT...when I hit Costco and Sam's club, I stock up on the amazing soft comfortable Member's Mark tee shirts (whopping $7) and Hurly/Speedo swim suits.  If I see a trusty brand that I know I will wear I don't pass it up...but, even at that not much clothing goes in the basket.  Just focused on too many other priorities.

Respected Contributor

I am pretty much done with summer shopping too.  Our weather in upstate SC is all over the place.  This past weekend was in the 90's with high humidity (always) and it is raining heavily today and yesterday evening.  Temps are up and down.   I work from home and only look "professional" when i meet clients in the office.  I do want some more capris or pedal pushers (I don't wear shorts) and that is about it.  I am losing weight so may be adjusting my selection again.   Doc is concerned about my A1C and I have modified my diet with a resulting weight loss.  I was slightly over weight and am fine with the weight reduction as I had weight to lose.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   I never buy in-season clothes ... and even fewer summer pieces.  My funds go toward fall and winter wardrobes, mainly because I love those seasons' offerings in styles,  fabrics, textures and colors.   

I typically hate summer ... it's either too hot or too cold (like today, currently 58 degrees), and I just don't spend my money on summer stuff.

Trusted Contributor

I should be finished, too.  I have replaced almost all my casual t-shirts this year.  At the end of last summer I donated many tops due to wear, size, and/or dislike.  I tried to replace them with budget items from Kohl's, but the quality just wasn't there.  So I have purchased several from Denim & Co, Isaac, JC Penney and TJ Maxx.  I have a good variety now and should be ok for a few years.  

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Sooner   I never buy in-season clothes ... and even fewer summer pieces.  My funds go toward fall and winter wardrobes, mainly because I love those seasons' offerings in styles,  fabrics, textures and colors.   

I typically hate summer ... it's either too hot or too cold (like today, currently 58 degrees), and I just don't spend my money on summer stuff.

@SoX Something for everyone!  I dread seeing fall and winter.  I get so depressed when September rolls around!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@SoX Something for everyone!  I dread seeing fall and winter.  I get so depressed when September rolls around!  

Can't wait till September. It means cooler weather is on the way in October. Hate summer. Nothing but sweat.