Honored Contributor

Re: Thumbs Up or Down? Tie/Fold Front...

I don't wear tie blouses, especially ones that expose your belly. I think the longer side tie version is more flattering and wearable. I do wear and own wrap dresses that tie at the waist with either a front or side tie. Those styles are flattering on me. I don't like the extra loose fabric on the foldover blouses. I prefer a traditional bottom hem. 

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

I can remember wearing shirts tied in the front in the summers, when I was in high school. We wore them with shorts or capris. I always liked that look.

I still do, but today I'd wear something a little different, maybe like this.

Image result for shirt tied in front

I also like wrap style tops and dresses, that tie on the side.

@peachesncream

I love this blouse!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Angelpuppy, I love that, too.

It turned up when I did a Google search for tie front tops.

When I tried to track it down, it is from a website called aliexpress. That's a sort of Asian version of amazon, I think.

Anyway, it's not a mainstream retailer and I didn't have any faith in quality, etc. 

I would like to find something similar at a familiar retailer. Maybe one will turn up!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

I noticed that style on a few JCP offerings in the past couple of months.

It doesn't move it to be honest with ya.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@peachesncream

Phillip Lim- $$$$$

Lots of different versions of this available.

Honored Contributor

@freakygirl  I disagree. I have a straight up & down athletic/boyish shape...no defined waist. I always wear a separate top a little below my waist w/ some fullness. Just have to balance that entire look w/ opposite bottoms. I do the blouson top w/ skinny jeans or slim leg trousers and if tying the shirt at the waist to show your waist, you would add fullness at the bottom like pleated trousers or fuller cut jeans. Just proportions make the difference. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri21 Tying at the waist is a throwback to Baby in the Dirty Dancing movie. What goes around comes around..  

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  The top olive Gap pant is the color I'm looking for...too bad I can't wear side pockets like that and Gap cuts too thin/junior for my bod.  Smiley Sad

I tried a version of the shirt like the burgandy one @Andreatoo posted...it had a built in tank underneath...still had too much fabric in the wrong place!

I love the version that @peachesncream posted...so cute.

@Shanus...you must be young!  The tie-at-the-waist has been around for a long time!  Baby stole it from Audrey and Marilyn LOL...my Aunts used to sport the look, too...

audrey hepburn - white men shirt tied at her tiny waist

Thanks to all for your responses!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MsLomo wrote:

Hello, @MacDUFF!  Thanks for asking! (Word Nerd excitement on a Friday night!)  Woman LOL

While I agree with you that "fashion industry" is singular, I would change the wording when referring to the people in the fashion industry (yes, the designers, manufacturers, etc.). Instead of: "If the fashion industry thinks I'm going to dish out for a whole new wardrobe, it's crazy!" I would change to: "If the people who work in the fashion industry think I'm going to dish out for a whole new wardrobe, they're crazy!" Or, shorter version: "If the people in the fashion industry think I'm going to dish out for a whole new wardrobe, they're crazy!"

That way, "it's crazy" doesn't sound like an expression for a crazy situation --  versus referring back to the fashion industry (or the people in the fashion industry, which would call for a "they").

(Do you think Sister Casilda and Mrs. Hudson would agree with this?)

@MsLomo

So much excitement that it spilled into Saturday night LOL!!

Thank you...well-done!  You hit on exactly the problem I had with the sentence, i.e. it sounded as if I was referring to a crazy situation!  I should have thought about changing the structure around or taking Occam's razor to it.  

I don't know about Sister Casilda, but Mrs. Hudson would stick a gold star on your forehead.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

shanus, i happen to like the boyish/athletic shape. i'm pretty sure the tie at the waist shirt style will look good on you!