Honored Contributor

Re: Thumbs Up or Down? Tie/Fold Front...

I agree with those who've said that it depends on where the top is twisted or tied. Above the waist is much more flattering for most women, IMO. It needs to be tied at the NARROWEST area of the body.

I have this Eddie Bauer top in both versions:

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

I check Nordstrom's website every day for new women's clothing.  This style comes up lately...I'm assuming it's a new trend/new take on old standbys...the drape or cross front or just tying a shirt in front.

What are your opinions of this style?  Some examples...

I like the pink one and the solid bright blue one with the longer sleeves. The striped shirt and the light blue button-down don't make any sense to me because the proportions are so weird. It looks like they are super boxy with sleeve openings you could drive a truck though and then it's suddenly cinched around the waist and gets cut off.

The second light blue one looks confused, like it sort of tried to be tied in the corner, but then forgot what it wanted to do and just hung out there. It's not flattering.

But can we go back to the stiped and the button-down again? Why are the sleeves so big? Why? Like, I don't even care about the tied part because I can't get past the fact that I could accidently put my head through a sleeve hole.

I like the pink and the blue as well..don't like the others at all..

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

Another contender, LLB Signature.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono

Yes, that's more of what I'm looking for...a sandwashed army green...thanks!   I love love love LLBean, but haven't shopped there in years...will check their website on a regular basis.  What tips can you give me about fit?  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@lolakimono

Yes, that's more of what I'm looking for...a sandwashed army green...thanks!   I love love love LLBean, but haven't shopped there in years...will check their website on a regular basis.  What tips can you give me about fit?  

@MacDUFF

Their "Signature" line is more fitted and modern than their classic clothes, so I would go by the measurements and veer towards your brick and mortar sizing.  

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

I can remember wearing shirts tied in the front in the summers, when I was in high school. We wore them with shorts or capris. I always liked that look.

I still do, but today I'd wear something a little different, maybe like this.

Image result for shirt tied in front

I also like wrap style tops and dresses, that tie on the side.

@peachesncream,When I worked at Chicos this past fall, they had one exactly like this  except the neckline wasn't as deep.  The ladies wouldn't even try it on!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

Banana Republic, in 4 colors-

Respected Contributor

I really like foldover, crossover, tie details in a top. The problem with the foldovers at the hem is that some can have way too much (unnecessary) material, like the Rinna top today.

I love the whole outfit that @MacDuff posted in post #9. I'd wear that.

Respected Contributor

Gibson Twist Front Cozy Fleece Pullover (Regular & Petite)

Nordstrom, Gibson Twist Front Cozy Fleece Pullover (reg. or petite, 4 colors)