Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thumb Holes - Yay or Nay?

I have one jacket with them and I never use them.  Nay for me.  No use for them really.  If my hands are cold I can put them in my pockets or wear gloves.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva.  LOL.  It does appear so.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Much like fingerless gloves, they provide warmth a little further down beyond the wrist, onto the hands, yet you still have full use of your fingers as opposed to wearing gloves.  

How difficult can it be to just not use them if you don't like them?  I've only seen them in knits so it's not like there's a gaping hole there when they're not being used.

Regular Contributor

One of my favorite features for comfy cozy clothing....Love

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I don't like them. The sleeves I have with thumb holes get cuffed.

I don't cuff mine, but if your cooking or baking they are really a nusiance, I push my sleeve up over my elbow. I'd rather not have them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yay!

Of course they have a purpose. They keep the sleeve over my hand when it's cold, even if I'm driving and my hand and arm are up, the sleeves don't fall down.

They're also helpful on shirts when I'm putting a jacket on. You can always grab the sleeves with your fingers, but sometimes that makes it hard to get your hand through a coat. Sliding it over a thumb means I don't have to make a big first or have my sleeve come loose, making me start over.

They're a great addition. And if I don't want to use them, I can fold them over and they're barely noticeable.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

NAY.

So far, thumb holes are dealbreakers for me. The instant I spot them, I’m done. I stop looking at the item online or stop streaming the presentation. No exceptions at all to this so far. 

Respected Contributor

I pass on buying tops that have them. 

For one thing, I live in a moderate climate with a short winter. I don't feel I need the extra warmth.

Also, I only see them on casual tops and workout wear. That's the sort of thing I wear around the house, doing cooking and cleaning, etc. I want my hands and wrists free for those tasks. 

Honored Contributor

I don't do holes, or rips ,or tears in anything

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all your replies and opinions.   Personally, I don't think thumb holes are necessary.  Some of you do.  Interesting to hear both sides.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt