Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thrill of the Thrift Challenge Summer '21...

I think I have two more thrifts to post, but I'm getting tired.  Will post them and a pic of the Ted Baker sweater that derailed my Challenge (haha) tomorrow.

Here are a few items I thought were cute, but passed up for whatever reason...

I love to see this sign in my favorite charity thrift hahaha (they also have 75% days, too)!

20210817_140201.jpg

Talbot's petite olive trench...gorgeous!  $15 or $18...can't remember exactly and can't see it...

20210824_141758.jpg

And wouldn't this Laurel Burch cat scarf be perfect with the Talbot's trench?...

20210824_142630.jpg

Pretty Boden blouse...

20210803_140045.jpg

Donald Pliner slip-on cowboy boots...stunning...made in Italy...$15 IIRC...

20210824_131839.jpg

Lilly Pulitzer...

20210810_144745.jpg

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.  'Nite all!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:
Thanks @tends2dogs :  I love the look of a boot or flare jean with a wedge. 

Personal preferences make the fashion world go 'round. I had the complete opposite feeling about jeans...I wore skinnies for so long that when I started trying wider legs, I couldn't get them off fast enough hahaha!  I now have a wider variety of jean shapes, inseams, and hem widths. 

I lost about 10-12 pounds in the first 6 weeks of lockdown (anxiety thru the roof until I remembered in Whom I trust), so I dropped a size, but have gained some back.  I used to be between med-lrg, now I'm between small-med.  I still wear my older clothes, but they fit me better now haha.

I can relate to the weight loss thing at the beginning of lockdown.  My anxiety was that we couldn't go out to eat - I kid you not!!!  I hate cooking and going out is a BIG deal to me.  Well, I dropped 20 pounds that I really didn't need to lose.........yes, I admit it, it was my cooking. LOL  DH didn't lose any and never complained about my cooking .......that is why we have made it 43 years so far.  Woman Wink  Different things cause anxiety and the whole Covid thing didn't cause any for me.  I agree remembering in Whom you trust is BIG ........ well, it's everything.  

Now, putting on leggings, skinnies, or crops - Big time anxiety LOL.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My pleasure, @Drythe    I'm glad you're enjoying the thread!    I love "playing" with fashion.  Sometimes, I feel the safest and most relaxed and, strangely, but happily separated from the woes of this crazy world when I'm standing in my closet trying things on, re-arranging my shoes, cleaning out the drawers, sorting laundry, ironing, "playing."  I hope that doesn't sound too weird!  It's a pleasant distraction.

@tends2dogs   Yes, everything indeed.  That was funny about going out to eat/cooking.  I hear ya.  My girlfriend had major anxiety 'cuz she couldn't find Sensodyne, which I completely understood!  The thing with the TP shortage didn't worry me at all...I figured as long as I had a washcloth and water, I'd be fine.  Okay, it's true that I had big containers of water stashed around the property, and a ton of baby wipes, but still it didn't bother near as much as, get this, not having enough books to read!  That caused me more anxiety than all the other anxiety inducing qwap that was happening.  I have enough books stashed now to start a small library haha!

Esteemed Contributor

Okay, last of the pics (3 separate posts)...

Thrifted Talbot's woven leather belt long enough to do the loop-d-loop thingy.  The little black dot is the only thing wrong with it, and it's imperceptible in real life.  I bought it because I have the AG high waisted jeans and have been able to tuck in (probably because of small weight loss).  I don't like tucking with a rise even an inch lower than the AG high rise.  It just looks better to my eye to have my waist defined at the smallest part rather than around my "apple."  Half-off day, so $1...

20210829_150625.jpg

20210819_115632.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Eileen Fisher white cotton bouclé cardi...will function as a transitional jacket for me....lightweight...easy to fold in purse or carry...front panels don't flop around too much or fall to the sides, which I hate.   I prefer the collar "popped," but the front panels kept unfolding, so I tacked them down to stay in place.  

20210830_145134.jpg

My younger fashionista friends informed me that popping the collar on the shirt AND popping the collar on the jacket is "old school."  They said the collar on the shirt should be down flat and under the popped jacket collar.  Have any of you ever heard that one??  I tried it and thought it looked all wrong.   "Well, I guess I'm just old school, you little whippersnappers!"    Half off day = $3.50

20210830_150510.jpg

20210630_191703.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Ted Baker London white cashmere...the purchase that derailed my challenge.  White sweater for winter has been on my list for a looooong time...I have enough dark wintery colors already!   Still available at the Rack, but $30 higher than I paid during a flash event (I hate pricing games even though I benefited this time). 

I have another TB cashmere with lace appliqué in gray (different lace pattern, different placement).  It's beautiful and I've gotten my $$ worth out of it, so much so that I hit the purchase button on the white one without hesitation, thrifting challenge be d@##ed. 

It's not optic white, but a soft white...no hint of yellow/tan/gold undertones thankyouverymuch.  It's not ivory, winter white or off-white.  It's perfect...the lace appliqué is an interesting bonus, otherwise, exactly what I wanted.  

This is a size 3 (med, 8-10, which is the size of the gray one), and I think it may be too big and too long (I have the hem folded under in pic) unless I plan to wear base layers with it, but, I ordered the size 2 as well, which should arrive tomorrow so we'll see.

20210829_152934.jpg

20210829_152721.jpg

Hope y'all have a wonderful day ahead of you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF   I have found all my belts at thrifts!  That was a great find for you.  I am also loving the white cardi!  Forget the young whippersnappers.....I wouldn't wear a ring through my nose or eyebrow, but I would pop a collar......or two...Woman Wink

I can totally relate about the book fear.  I read more books last year than ever before.  I am not into Kindle.  My friend was thriftbooks dot com.  I like a hardcover and most were around $4.  They are more than that at Goodwill.  One of our Goodwills had a deal where you could stuff a bag of books for $5.  This was precovid, but I did it many, many times. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF That is a great jacket, and you look teriffic in it. Very flattering.