Super Contributor

Thrifting Adventures (April '22)...

copy

I went to my favorite [charity thrift] a few days ago and bought 1 sweater, 1 henley, 2 pairs of pants, a shawl, a pair of shoes, a belt, a onesie, and 2 books for $35 and change.

The 2 pairs of pants and the belt went right back into the (re)donation bag...3 what-was-I-thinking moments...the 3 most expensive things, too...SIGH. Here's how I justify my stooopid thrifting mistakes: 10 pieces for $35 = $3.50 ea.   Less 3 mistakes = 7 = $5 ea.   Not bad considering I loved them all.

Here are the pieces I kept...except for the NWT shoes and the scarf (hand-washed), they all went thru the washer and dryer and came out perfect.

Charcoal LizSport henley (pearlized snaps instead of buttons), $1, not a thing wrong with it, 100% cotton, soft as a bunny's ear...

Secret Treasures "Today has been canceled" onesie...sooo comfy...except for beach tees, I have no other pieces with words on them and don't want any  thankyouverymuch...$1...sports bra, cuppa tea, and a book, and I'm in for the day, please do not disturb...

100% cotton JM Collection, more strawberry than red, slightly ballooned bracelet length sleeves...absolutely perfect for warm transition...$1...

Exactly how it came out of the dryer...

3 different stitches, snap closure with decorative button...

Lightweight turq shawl hanging out to dry (will start wearing it soon and take pic)...

The shoes (espadrilles?) are the thrift item...American Eagle...NWT ($29.99...I paid $7)...as comfortable as my favorite sneaks. I also bought this Kensie denim jacket at Marshall's last week...$20. It's hard to believe, but this is only the second denim jacket I've ever owned. I loved this one because of the quilted sleeve design and the length (always a major problem with jackets for me).   Excellent for cool transition weather.   I'm hoping to get @SharkE 's approval!...

The 2 books are in this pile of overflow books haha. Except for the ancient M-W unabridged dictionary (copyright 1951), a few Bibles, a few U.S. Constitution booklets, and a Women's Siddur on the floor on the right, I guestimate approximately 95 - 100 books on deck. What? Doesn't everyone have vintage fishing rods belonging to Paw Paw in their den?

The $1 rack can have some real gems on it...

Gorgeous LeSuit jacket...not a single thing wrong with it...dry cleaning tag...pintucking...too small or I would have purchased just on principle, and I don't even wear jackets like this!    Southwestern inspired zip front sweater jacket...perfect condition...too big.

If I'm not careful, I'd be back to pre-closet purge clutter in a New York minute.

And that's my thrifting adventure for the week.

Hope y'all are having a wonderful week!

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Thrifting Adventures (April '22)...

@MacDuFF Always enjoy your posts! I love the sweater and am drooling for that shawl.

Trusted Contributor

@MacDuFF  The strawberry colored sweater is gorgeous. Nice finds. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

You really scored!  Love the design of the red sweater and that is your color. The espadrilles are cute and look comfortable....will be a go to with jeans.  Too bad the jackets didn't fit....great find.  Enjoy your new purchases!

Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF 

You have some beautiful finds -- as usual!  You sure have nice thrift shops where you live!  Where I live, the stuff is pretty much all junk and it costs way more!  I gave up on going to them as the things looked like people should have thrown them in the garbage bag, rathern than donate them!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

MacDuff you find some good deals. Those clothes look like new. 

I have a topper/duster that looks similar to the shawl in #4. Same color with a fringe on the bottom. The shawl is one of my favorite items of yours. I hope you get a chance to wear it often. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@MacDuFF Thanks for sharing your latest finds.  

The strawberry sweater is great.   

Enjoy wearing all the items you decided to keep.  

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDuFF : my thrifting sister!

Thanks for taking the time to post pics of your awesome finds.

I have enjoyed overwhelming success with thrifting this month! No shopping today, but there is a sale tomorrow. All I need now is warm weather so I can wear them.

Just this week: (all items $5 unless otherwise stated)- Pendleton silk & cotton jacket- navy with small white squares, Quacker Factory Dream Jeannes Bermuda shorts, Eddie Bauer navy linen camp shirt, Soft Surroundings white cotton gauze pants

Men's Charter Club 100% cashmere V-neck pullover: $2, Navy faux wrap dress NWT $9, (perfect with anything, including the Pendleton jacket) 2 pairs of Eileen Fisher wide leg pants, NWT -$25.00 each, Eileen Fisher white organic cotton 3/4 length sleeve tee, NWT-$10

Accessories: Asics black sneakers $4.50, Lord & Taylor black hand applied fully beaded evening bag $6.

And that's just this week's haul!  But the best find of the week by far was purchased at my fave consignment boutique where I always buy more than I consign: my Mother of the Groom dress for later this year! I think it's my favorite dress that I have ever bought- including my wedding gown. Fits like a glove-minimal , if any tailoring will be required. Rina di Montella, originally from a local bridal salon. Found similar on line for $500.00 ( with fewer details). I scored it for $175.00 and could not be happier!

ETA: I did shop new this week. From Macy's dot com: 3 Karen Scott square neck tee shirts. $10.00 each, free s/h and from Target dot com  I am awaiting a pair of Sketchers - half price at $25.00.

Respected Contributor

You sure do come across some great finds!

Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF   You done good my friend. That red sweater is so pretty.

wish I had stores like that around me. 

You should never be naked.