Respected Contributor

Re: Thrifters and Consigment shop shoppers

I volunteer at a non profit thrift store staffed by churches. We sort our clothes by size. If it a set we keep the pieces together. Last week we put coats out. Saw a lovely Denim and Company coat being purchased I have seen really nice London Fog coats also.
Honored Contributor

The only place I know of that arranges by color instead of size is Salvation Army. They also sell (at my town's location) dirty clothing, things that are falling apart, torn, etc. I won't shop there. It is too stressful trying to find something worth buying.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3
Okay that is horrible! I've never seen that but then I've never been in a Salvation Army thrift store either. I do know Goodwill washes everything before they put it out for sale and it would appear that another thrift-store we used to frequent did the same thing but I couldn't be certain of it. Unfortunately that one is closed now but I'm sitting here on my couch looking at a solid wood end table with a marble top that I paid $20 for! Now that was a great thrift store!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

where i take my clothes and sometimes shop she sorts by size and then she will sort by color.  it makes things very convienent.  she also breaks up outfits and suits. but i can't remember why.  she is the top rated shop in our area for several years now.

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne
Probably because it's consignment and her and the client make more money that way. That's probably why they do it in the thrift stores too
Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo

you are probably right.  i know i've made quite a bit of money over the years with her.  whatever she is doing works for me!

Valued Contributor

A nearby consignment shop sorts by color, size and type of garment. All jeans by size in one area; all sweaters by size and color, same with blouses, blazers, leather jackets etc.  Makes it easy to find items.

Occasional Contributor

Been a dedicated thrifter for a dozen years where, at first, I was shy about it.  Then, I realized there were Beemers, Cadillacs and Lexus parked in the lot of Community Thrift.  I've gotten many, many items with high-end tags still attached.  I was told by an exployee there's a pricepoint at which some retailers find benefit in donating for the tax write off rather than trying to sell at clearance.

Yes, it does take a love of shopping and the time to do it to go through a lot of cast-offs, but if you love bargains - and clothes - as I do, it can be great.  My thrift tip of the day:  wear close fitting clothes for trying on.  Most thrifts, except the Salvation Army, do not have fitting rooms.  Happy hunting!

Occasional Contributor

Simply because sorting by color is probably easier for the staff, and because many of the items may not have tags on them and therefore do not have a size. I usually would not buy clothing at a thrift or consignment store, although you can find some pretty amazing things at very low prices! I do however like to purchase books or artwork and trinkets there. You never know what gem you can find.

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful Louis Vitton handbag being held for me at the shop where I consign!