Respected Contributor

Re: Thrifted Jackets for Transition...

Lovely jackets and you look very nice in all of them.  Make me want to go dress up a little...as I'm here getting ready to put pajamas on and it's before 7 pm.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

@MacDuFF  Wow, I wish that thrift store were near me.  What great finds.  You look very nice in everything, as usual.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the first two....especially the Tahari piece!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Foxxee  and @LuvSoCal  The thrift store nearest me is a Christian-based charitable thrift...the woman who started/runs it is a social worker...there are two other paid employees (social worker, Boutique manager), everyone else is a volunteer...lawyers, cashiers, secretary, financial advisors, women who sort, price, and stock, etc.  She also gets grants and donations from local businesses and big corporations. 

People donate anything and everything.   What the volunteers reject goes to the Salvation Army and local churches.

The $$ made in the "boutique" area is used to help people in our community in a crisis situation (job loss, spouse leaves/dies, whatever).   The store has a food and household essentials pantry...children get new backpacks filled with school supplies...people get help with food, rent, utilities and can shop the boutique for clothing and household items free of charge...budgeting classes are offered...people with long-term difficulties are referred to other agencies in our area, etc., etc., etc.

They frequently have 25/50/75% off days, and the day before they switch seasons, everything (with some restrictions) you can fit in a shopping bag is $5.

I LOVE this place haha!

The single most amazing piece I've seen for sale there, was a Chanel silver choker with pink satin ribbon (see gold version in pic).  The original price was around $900...the Boutique had it maked for sale for $450, and I think it was marked down once from there.  It must have sold, because it's gone.

The other place I thrift at is a Goodwill Boutique ("fancier" than a regular Goodwill) recommended by Q poster @PodyPo...a very good resource.  

@teganslaw   I get the best SS jewelry there!  LOVE those espadrilles.

@queendiva   People don't know what they're missing...more for us haha.  Wear your finds in good health.

Hi @kate2357   @ROMARY  @ThinkingOutLoud  @CAcableGirl2   @shoptilyadropagain   Hope y'all are well.  Heart

Hey @Lisa Y  I finally figured out that espadrilles are not just for summer...perfect for spring!

@Drythe   Nice try woman, but no cigar!  Smiley Wink

Thanks so much everyone...hope you're having a great week.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF : I find lots of clothes at thrift but not much jewelry.

Oh ,there's tons of it, most all cheap junk. I have found 2 rings: a "vintage" Diamonique  marquise multi stone ring in a gold clad setting. Looks so much like real diamonds!-$2.00. At consignment, a large oval faux turquoise stone on a silvertone band as well as a gold tone rolo bracelet that I picked up for $2.50.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Excellent quality is very noticeable, isn't it?  

Where do you find these special pieces with tags at such low prices?   My thrift stores don't mark prices that low.  Not for anything similar to what you found.

The low prices shocked me.  I have never seen anything priced that low.  Great buys.

Honored Contributor

Shoptilyoudrop:

I love your quote.  So true.

I'm going to post it on my bulletin board!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).