Honored Contributor

Have any of you bought at Thred up? Interesting philosophy! Great prices too and lots of styles. Seems like fun. Please share your experience.

Honored Contributor

i dont buy on thred up, but i do sell on thred up. i currently have 5 bags for processing. i dont make a lot on them, but it is great to move stuff out of my closets! some go to thred up, some go to local charities, some go to charities that pick up at the door.

they are really behind on processing clean out kits though!

yes, you can find some great deals on the site, including QVC items.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  Do you pay the postage to ship them to the company?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sunshine45  Do you pay the postage to ship them to the company?

they can send you a clean out bag with the postage already attached OR you can get a prepaid label online to attach to a box or bag that you have.

thred up bag.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 I only sell there too. 

It is my understanding that they accept only about 50% of items received. I get about as much as a local resell place. With the local place it seemed that some of my better items just disappeared from the store. You sign that they are not resposible for lost/stolen items. Hum? Wonder what happened to the KS bag?

If you want to sell with them, think a season ahead bc it will take 3 months to process. I sent fall things in July. You can cash out or take store credit.

I still sort out functional items (like Q merchandise) to donate. If I have a nice designer item I give to daughter who uses REAL REAL.

Honored Contributor

@granddi 

i like also that they notify me when my item has sold AND they show photos of my items on my  MY SALES page.

designer items give you a higher percentage of the sale and they also leave them up longer than "regular items."

sent in my first kit at the end of 2016 and i can still see the items that sold from that kit and how much i received for each individual item.

Honored Contributor

I don't find items there that I would be interested in.  Therefore, have never purchased.  I have a bad habit of looking a few times and if I don't find something, I never look again.  However, the few times I looked, I was either not interested or the clothes did not seem well kept.  I don't want things that look like people slept in them with their dogs and cats.  I like for people to tell me what condition they are in and if they have pets in their house, etc.  I have severe asthma so I am picky.  

I will never buy at Poshmark again either.  I was ripped off once with a pair of shoes that  were "rarely worn, maybe once," and the soles were not even on them, they were not the size advertised and were in a box with an even different size on them and you must go jump through hoops and loops to send back.  I ate that.  I ordered once more.  I wanted a Henri Bendel clutch because I am an HB fan.  It was advertised as 10 x 8 x 3 inches.  It was 8 x 5 x 3.  I could not even get my cell phone and keys in it.  I was not allowed to send that back because it was in such great condition according to the picture I sent them of the bag and had nothing to do with the false dimensions.  So, I did order a pair of Lafayette 148 slacks there which were "brand new with tags" and even at their prices $80 for a pair of $500 slacks was not bad, so I kept them but then I saw the same pants on Ebay for $60.  So, that was my experience with Poshmark. 

I have gotten some good deals on the Real Real, however.  I have also gotten junk on Etsy.  I bought a charm bracelet c.1970 from a dealer and it was in "like new condition."  It had no stones in the charms that were said to have stones and the closure was broken off.  It was only $48 but still, $48 is a lot of money on a retirement check.  I only buy items that are not wearable or used from Etsy. That is one of about 8 items that I ordered and 2 others were in irrepairable condition but the other 5 were fine but they were picture frames and pictures.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday  Sorry to hear your experience on Poshmark.  I have sold and purchased from them and had zero issues.  I did send a couple of items that arrived broken and the person receiving them created a case in online, and Poshmark responded quickly to fix the issue.  In my case, the broken items were shown with pictures along with the packing (provided by the buyer), and determined that they were damaged in transit so the buyer got their money back and I got my sales money too.

I think as with any online purchase, you need to read the description, double check for the measurements, and look at all the pictures.  Send a question to the seller to provide more info or more pictures if you have any reservations.  If the shoes looked new, and they arrived worn out, you would just need to file a claim and provide pictures, and then it would have been deemed "not as described", and you should receive your money back.

I started selling off my extra stuff (mostly handbags, clothes, some shoes, and household items) on Poshmark back in March based on a recommendation from a fellow poster, and I can say what I've made will pay for my trip to Europe in December and some extra to cover any taxes due to added income from the sales. 

I think it might be more work then Thread Up as you have to take the pictures yourselft, load them with a description and then respond to potential buyers.  I've sold on Mercari too, and found Poshmark is a lot easier.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Thred Up has a store on eBay and that's where I've bought from them. No problems with any of it. I would buy from them again, good prices and selection.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Nonametoday  Sorry to hear your experience on Poshmark.  I have sold and purchased from them and had zero issues.  I did send a couple of items that arrived broken and the person receiving them created a case in online, and Poshmark responded quickly to fix the issue.  In my case, the broken items were shown with pictures along with the packing (provided by the buyer), and determined that they were damaged in transit so the buyer got their money back and I got my sales money too.

I think as with any online purchase, you need to read the description, double check for the measurements, and look at all the pictures.  Send a question to the seller to provide more info or more pictures if you have any reservations.  If the shoes looked new, and they arrived worn out, you would just need to file a claim and provide pictures, and then it would have been deemed "not as described", and you should receive your money back.

I started selling off my extra stuff (mostly handbags, clothes, some shoes, and household items) on Poshmark back in March based on a recommendation from a fellow poster, and I can say what I've made will pay for my trip to Europe in December and some extra to cover any taxes due to added income from the sales. 

I think it might be more work then Thread Up as you have to take the pictures yourselft, load them with a description and then respond to potential buyers.  I've sold on Mercari too, and found Poshmark is a lot easier.

@CAcableGirl2 

I am happy you have had good experiences selling on Poshmark.  I didn't have to ask questions.  The information was provided. The shoes were not the size stated and the shoe soles were completely worn off and the insides dirty, and the box had another size than the shoes and the advertisement.  So, all one should have to do is send them back after sending them pix.  I am glad you have satisfied customers.  I was not one.  The purse was in great condition but was not the size noted in the information provided. I should not have had to say are you sure and would you please measure it again.  It looked good but information provided was false.  That's not on me.  I should have only had to send it back.  Why am I supposed to jump through hoops and be on the witness stand for things I did not do.  I took the shoes to the cobbler to see if he could put the soles on before I noticed they were (marked inside) a size smaller than advertised for and the shoe box was for yet another brand and another size.  The cobbler told me he knew those shoes and they were several years old based on the wear of the heel. I had one good result and that was for some pants Lafayette 148 and I am happy for that experience but no, that is not good enough for me to buy from them again. 

I have had good experience with Real Real.