Valued Contributor

Does anyone know why they're here? I see that when you mouse over, the meaning becomes clear, but I don't see the point. They are everywhere, even on my email and home page. They just seemed to emerge with no explanation.

Respected Contributor

Can you be more specific? Where are the icons?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I don't know which shaded icons you are talking about. Could you describe them and tell us what you're using to access the site? The way a page appears differs between tablets, desk/laptop computers, and phones.

Valued Contributor

I'll try to describe: I see them now on the "reply" box. Rectangular with codes: EO/2B; EO2C/EO2D; etc. etc. I am using Firefox and see them also on my homepage (for att.net) as well as on my emails.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thos shaded icons

[ Edited ]

Zita wrote:

I'll try to describe: I see them now on the "reply" box. Rectangular with codes: EO/2B; EO2C/EO2D; etc. etc. I am using Firefox and see them also on my homepage (for att.net) as well as on my emails.

@Zita, with a quick search I don't see a reference to the codes you've posted.  Are these pop-ups? 

I'd suggest clearing cookies and cache (in Preferences/Privacy/Cookies), quit Firefox and relaunch it. 

Be sure you're running the current version (v. 39.0) and all addons/extentions are up-to-date. 

If that doesn't help, see if another browser shows the same strange pop-ups. 

You might need to run a scan on your computer for malware.

(eta:  What "meaning" do you see when you mouse over them?)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

How bizarre! the icons don't show up in Chrome. The messages were things like "next" and "delete"  

I am running Norton and another anti-malware program on Firefox. Don't think it's a virus. Just annoying.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zita, I'm using Firefox too, and I don't see any of the "icons" that you are describing.  Maybe ask this question over in the Electronics forum?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Zita wrote:

How bizarre! the icons don't show up in Chrome. The messages were things like "next" and "delete"  

I am running Norton and another anti-malware program on Firefox. Don't think it's a virus. Just annoying.

@Zita, did you check the other things I mentioned?  I use Firefox as my usual browser, with Chrome and Safari for troubleshooting.  I've never seen anything like the things you describe.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Think I will hit the electronics forum to see it I can get more answers.

Cheers, everyone!