Honored Contributor

Re: This was found in an old London house

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo 

Where do you see a carpetbag? I see a basket of flowers on the floor, on the left side of the pic behind the dog.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Somehow that picture is haunting.The woman is beautiful but looks very sad...her eyes appear smudged like she has been crying.Maybe she was dressed for a funeral.

@dex 

The woman looks sad.  The dog looks sad.

It's a sad photo.

Respected Contributor

Love seeing this.

When we purchased our first old Victorian house in London many years ago we too found in basement an old kind of Dr’s bag filled with rusty looking medical tools.

Later found out it was an ‘early abortion kit’!  

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

Love seeing this.

When we purchased our first old Victorian house in London many years ago we too found in basement an old kind of Dr’s bag filled with rusty looking medical tools.

Later found out it was an ‘early abortion kit’!  

That was a very interesting find! @dulwich  wow.

Respected Contributor

Melancholia - when you learn there is arsenic in your wallpaper and the gas lamps can burn down your home

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

The dog looks so sad.

@goldensrbest  My thought was "I wonder what that dog is so focused on?" Like maybe there was a bug or something on the floor. Isn't it funny how we all see things so differently?

Maybe the photographer had to place a dog treat down on the floor to keep the dog from running off. Photography back then took more time than it does now...not a selfie sort of thing at all.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee  Very true! I never thought of that, but yes, photography took patience back then.

Honored Contributor

My first impression:  A model posing for a photo shoot against an old run down backdrop.  Flower basket and RCA looking dog used as props.  

I'd frame and hang this one.  It's beautiful.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the woman in the photo is stunning! And it's the perfect setup for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGwxf1gCC4&list=RDEYGwxf1gCC4&start_radio=1

Honored Contributor

To me it looks like she is being photographed outside against a wall, maybe she sells flowers, the dog is no doubt a stray. The woman may be pretty, but it's too sad and haunting for my taste, I wouldn't want it in my home.

Honored Contributor

I also thought it's a photo of a flower seller.  One posy in her hand and the basket with her dog at her feet.  Probably sheltering in a portico somewhere.  Perhaps near an opera house?

You can see the plaster coming off the wall and the bricks exposed above her head.  The outfit would be serviceable; not fashionable.

Interesting how a single photograph can evoke so many different perspectives.