Honored Contributor

Re: This is for RETIRED Ladies

I use to wear uniforms and lab coats when I was working so now I buy more clothes than ever before. Classic styles are what I like to buy because they will go with me in the long haul and I feel like I get the most for my money when I buy good quality because they last for many years. Rarely do I buy high-fashion pieces but when I do I try not to spend too much on them...here today gone tomorrow, like they say. My classic pieces will never be gone.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shanus,   I mean retired from work; however, if you never work then the age for retirement.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus,   I mean retired from work; however, if you never work then the age for retirement.

@Katcat1  Thanks for clarifying. At 69...yep, age of retirement. I think my circumstances were different making jewelry and ruining anything I wore w/ acid holes and general dirt. 

Now "semi retired", still have my junky studio clothes, but am adding to the clothes I can wear to be among normal people like real shoes instead metal toed work boots (dropping heavy hammers & tools really hurt!). I'm enjoying waking up & wearing real slacks & a cotton sweater instead of a torn sweatshirt & stained jeans. 

I'm shopping, but am, as usual, quite particular and buy few items, but the best basic, classic items I can afford...I'll have them a very long time. I call them my "big girl clothes". 😏

Respected Contributor

During the span of my career, I went from wearing skirted suits with heels to business casual (thank goodness...sprinting thru an airport in heels was NOT fun!) to "dress for your day" which meant jeans on some days. I was fortunate to retire very early and have a much different lifestyle now. The suits have been donated to charity. I've kept many of my cashmere sweaters and silk blouses, but now pair them with jeans instead of suits. I've never, ever been trendy. I do buy quite a bit of things now, but it's more golf clothes and workout gear than work appropriate wear. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

When I retired 4 years ago I found I had very few casual clothes. I got rid of the suits, heels, dressy tops, etc and kept a couple of blazers and slacks. Without having all of the "food days" we had at work, I ended up losing weight and so the clothes I kept no longer fit. I don't spend nearly as much as I did when I was working, but I'm still buying a few pairs of casual/lounge pants in the fall, and capris in the spring. I don't like t-shirts so I'm always looking for v-neck tops. If a trend works for me (like leggings/skinny jeans did) I go for it. I seldom need new shoes except for flip-flops in the summer. My downfall would be D&B and Brahmin bags - or any other beautiful bag that catches my attention and I don't need! Lol!

Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of clothes even though I don't have much of a social life.  I like to dress as well as I can.  I have too many clothes and don't plan to buy much more this year.   I don't follow trends, I wear what I think looks good on me and what is comfortable.  The only line I buy from QVC now is Linea. 

Esteemed Contributor

Something I thought of when I was cleaning closets and drawers yesterday...... Underwear!   Back when I dressed up for work every day, I had to have half-slips, full slips, camisoles in various shapes and colors.  And panty hose in brown, black, navy, and every other color and thickness available.  Bras.... too many to count.   I had 3 dresser drawers with nothing but undies.  Now I'm down to one small drawer.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Retired as of Jan 2017, I worked at home for 15+ years my answer is no, I love clothes and I try to be current but not "trendy". 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I retired 6/2015 and am buying just about the same amount of clothing, only a bit more casual. I have an active lifestyle and am traveling a lot more so I need to switch it up according to where I'm going.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Frequent Contributor

I just recently retired and will be purging my closet as I transition to fall.  I have bought or ordered a few casual pieces suitable for everyday or traveling.  I no longer need the professional look, except for Sunday wear.  But I don't intend to buy like I did.