Honored Contributor

Now that you are retired do you hardly ever buy new clothes; or do you like to keep up with trends; or just add a few pieces that you need.  How about shoes?  Are you satisfied with what you have or do you like to purchase new shoes all the time or just the shoes you really need?

I still purchase clothes but casual ones but only what I need. I recently purchased 2 pairs of shoes so that's it for me until there is a sale and then I may buy another pair of boots.

HeartCat Wink 

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: This is for RETIRED Ladies

I definitely don't buy as much as I did while working.  I'm only interested in casual clothing that I can wear anywhere.  I've recently ordered jeans, leggings, a couple of sweaters and several tops.  Due to weight loss, I have had to replenish my wardrobe.

Honored Contributor

I buy more clothes and shoes now that I'm retired then when I worked. We had a dress code where I worked and you had to wear sneakers as footwear. I worked all the time so I never went any where where I could dress, jeans and a t-shirt was my uniform. I do like to be fashionable, but comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

Since my everyday outfit is shorts and tee in summer and jeans or sweat pants in cooler weather (not much of a winter here) I find that I still buy new clothes every now and then just because my summer clothes do wear out every year since I wear them from March to October. Winter clothes last forever. Same with shoes. I have boots that are over 10 years old. I never really bought all that much when I was working because I always worked in a casual environment that required jeans or Dockers and I simply wasn't there to impress anyone. I never buy trends, only what I like and is comfortable. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not following the rules of this thread because I still work. When I retire, my oldest things will be thrown away, and I'll limit myself to very few purchases. 

Honored Contributor

I retired on July 1, 2017. And the first thing I did was go through some of my clothes and fill a bag of clothes I never intend to wear again. They were all "work clothes". Most still had tags on them. But I have worn nothing but casual clothes since I retired. So I bought a bunch of capris, shorts and tops that went with the new stuff. 

I bought a bunch of shoes but again they are casual and comfortable. I donated many of my designer shoes because I don't intend on wearing heels. I am only wearing comfortable shoes. 

I have numerous dresses and suits that I am not sure if I will wear. There is always a wedding or party that you need to get "dressed up". But not sure how many to keep.

I am not keeping up with trends because I do not like most (ie: cold shoulder, asymetrical hem). So I buy for comfort and let everyone else chase the styles.

Respected Contributor

I still love fashion and pretty clothes. But I spend about a third or a fourth of what I spent when I was working. 

I don't need as much clothing. And I'd rather spend money on travel or grandkids. Plus, our overall budget is smaller.

I don't feel deprived. If I really want something, I buy it. I just don't want as much.

Super Contributor

I wore scrubs for the last fifteen that I worked, and a waitress uniform before that. I had little need for much of a wardrobe for most of my adult married life - one or two "good" outfits, one or two "casual" outfits and a few comfy around the house things. I spent most of my time in my work uniforms. 

When I stopped working, due to disability not retirement, I enjoyed building a wardrobe because I no longer wore a uniform. Although my eye was drawn to career type styles, I needed and bought mostly casual, but nice, clothes. 

In the eight years since I have not worked, I have lost a considerable amount of weight, gained it back, and am in the process of loisng it again. (down 46.6 pounds with probably the same amount still to go). So I am also in the process of rebuilidng my wardrobe, aunt not from scratch. I held on to some things from the last time I lost the weight - pants, cardigans, tees and a few tops. Enough that with a few jackets, tanks and sweaters I'll be set for fall and winter. If anything gets too big, there's always Christmas to ask for replacements!!

Hugs. . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Contributor

I only buy casual clothes and things that I can wear when traveling - things that require no ironing and are chic. I have many Linea items, as well as tops and pants from Chico's. My taste is what I'd call classic with a funky twist. I retired two years ago and am doing my second purge of clothes I will never need to wear again, such as pants with zippers. My casual clothes are primarily jeggings from Walmart and tops from Old Navy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

I retired on July 1, 2017. And the first thing I did was go through some of my clothes and fill a bag of clothes I never intend to wear again. They were all "work clothes". Most still had tags on them. But I have worn nothing but casual clothes since I retired. So I bought a bunch of capris, shorts and tops that went with the new stuff. 

I bought a bunch of shoes but again they are casual and comfortable. I donated many of my designer shoes because I don't intend on wearing heels. I am only wearing comfortable shoes. 

I have numerous dresses and suits that I am not sure if I will wear. There is always a wedding or party that you need to get "dressed up". But not sure how many to keep.

I am not keeping up with trends because I do not like most (ie: cold shoulder, asymetrical hem). So I buy for comfort and let everyone else chase the styles.

@drizzellla  Just a suggestion since you are so recently retired.  Is it possible you might take on part-time or temporary (for a short period of time every now and then) work?   Since you never know what the future might bring and - even if you don't feel like it now you may feel like doing some work in the future if only in short spurts - you might want to keep some work-appropriate things in your wardrobe should that happen.  

I am for the most part retired - or maybe I should say retired from the job I had for a very long time -  but things do come my way every so often and some are so interesting that I take them on.  I do keep up all my professional credentials so I can do that when I want to.  I'm glad I kept enough professional clothing in my wardrobe to have some on hand and not have to go out and buy anything if I decide to take on work projects.  I do like the temporary things that last only a few months if that, rather than doing anything steadily part-time, all the time.   Also, being a senior, I've needed some clothing for funerals and memorial services.  In fact, I've been asked to do a reading at a college memorial service in the near future in honor of someone who passed away over the summer.  I already wore black to the funeral which took place, so something else dressy will be chosen from my closet for this public memorial tribute.  Just telling you all this so you do hang on to some appropriate clothes and shoes and handbags. Smiley Happy