Honored Contributor

Re: This Dress Trend Isn't New, But It's Blowing Up Again This Summer

I was 8 the last time I wore a dress like that.  Seriously.  It was white with tiny yellow flowers and my Nana made it for me to wear to my uncle's wedding.  She made a matching dress for my 2 year old sister.  

Respected Contributor

Prairie Style is a current trend. While I like the look of smocking, I find it uncomfortable to wear now.

Esteemed Contributor

LOL, I had a dress like that in 1980!

Esteemed Contributor

InStyle also has a piece on this trend, they call it the Nap dress, which is what Hill House Home calls this style, with smocking (how the fabric is gathered and elasticized) at the top. They featured several dresses from Target for $40 or less.  All but 2 are sleeveless.

Esteemed Contributor

Still called smocking @mnmom. My 6th grade graduation dress (1974) had this look, with short sleeves.  It looked more formal, because we used a beautiful pique fabric with a border featuring yellow and green embroidered flowers.  My mother made it.  We picked the fabric together.  One of my favorite dresses to this date.

Honored Contributor

Back in the 1970s when I was young & thin....would look ridiculous wearing that today!

Honored Contributor

The first and last time  I wore a dress with this type of smocking, my father made me take it off and replace it with something else.  I was in eighth grade.

This type of dress is really cute on somone with small to average size breasts.  For those  of  us who are well endowed, it is a big NO.

it's a cute  style for those who can wear it.

Esteemed Contributor

fashion police on breast size?  We can all have our likes and dislikes, but I don't understand telling other people what they can and can't wear...