Respected Contributor

Re: Thinking back over the years, didn't you have an outfit

As a teen I had a favorite outfit....a faux suede tan mini skirt that I wore with a velour top in various shades of brown stripes (tucked in) and a Native American print suede belt with a bit of fringe.  Loved that outfit!

Bridesmaid dresses get a bad rap, but my Sis picked a beauty that I loved wearing in her wedding.  A long, soft knit with long full sleeves, a deeply draped cowl neck, and an attached sash that wrapped twice around the waist.  It was a pretty cranberry color.   Very classy looking....nothing "Bo-Peepish" about it!

Esteemed Contributor

In my 30s when I weighed a whopping 127 lbs. I can think of 2 things:

a pair of what they called cigarette pants w/a side zipper, not an ounce of stretch in them.  They became my scales.

a khaki shirt waist style dress, straight, not full skirt, just above my knee, button front all the way. Had a red placket and roll tab sleeves, belt.  (it was the 80s).

When I was a size 16, a black rayon dress, buttons to the waist, straight skirt, belt.  It was the only time I put on something looked in a mirror and said "holy ****".  That dress was a miracle worker. I walked into work at the restaurant and our new dishwasher asked if I was a model.  I burst out laughing and no, but I would be the before picture if I was.  I looked good, but I still to this day, think she needed glasses.

Respected Contributor

In about 1969, I was about 9, and I had a pink dress with a white ruffle and ribbon down the front.  It was all the rage that year for little girls.  I have a photo of my dad and I in the back yard, pretty sure we were on the way to a wedding.  I loved that dress, and I love that photo (because of Dad, not because of the dresss)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

luvmyteddy, I still have my beautiful white wedding gown from our wedding day on 03/14/70.  It was long white lace, long sleeves and a full skirt with a headpiece that was also my train.  Oh how I loved wearing the "hoop skirt ," until the photographer told me to pull it up to show off my blue garter.  I was so embarrassed thinking that I was showing off my underwear with my DH and 3 bridesmaids looking over my shoulder.  We are looking forward to having a small family dinner next Saturday and then a two week road trip to Louisiana in April. Thanks for the memories.

I just thought about the short purple skirt, white ruffled long sleeved blouse and white go go boots that I wore back in 1969.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was in my early 20's I had an aqua dress with flared sleeves and a flat flared collar.  Very flowy material.  That was my "date" dress and I felt confident wearing it.  I wore that dress for my first date with a long term relationship.  He told me years later he hated that dress.  Good thing we didn't end up married.  I also had an orange jumpsuit in that time period.  Full legs and low cut halter tops were in then.  I remember bar-tending at a charity function of some sort and got lots of attention.  You bend over making mixed drinks to scoop the ice.  Guess they loved orange?  

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

When I was in my early 20's I had an aqua dress with flared sleeves and a flat flared collar.  Very flowy material.  That was my "date" dress and I felt confident wearing it.  I wore that dress for my first date with a long term relationship.  He told me years later he hated that dress.  Good thing we didn't end up married.  I also had an orange jumpsuit in that time period.  Full legs and low cut halter tops were in then.  I remember bar-tending at a charity function of some sort and got lots of attention.  You bend over making mixed drinks to scoop the ice.  Guess they loved orange?  

Yours reminded me of the time I bought a suede pant suit, pretty expensive for the late 60s and wore it to a fancy steak restaurant with a first date. I had never had steak before & cut into the steak and steak juice sprayed all over my new outfit, I was so embarrased.

I wore a ton of jumpsuits in the 70s & 80s out to bars mainly and going to the john was a problem! lol

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like many of us fondly remember outfits from the 60s and 70s.  I wonder if it was the styles of whether we were at "our prime" during that period.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Looks like many of us fondly remember outfits from the 60s and 70s.  I wonder if it was the styles of whether we were at "our prime" during that period.

I think that it was both the styles and we were at the "prime of our lives."   I think that the fabrics were a lot nicer & more substantial too.

Esteemed Contributor

So many memories.

• elementary school - pink skirt / blouse with white patent leather shoes. I cried when I had to admit I outgrew the ensemble
  • 7th grade -- bronze & turquoise print empire waist dress with a ribbon tie. We wore dresses to school and I could count on it being a good day when I wore that dress. My friend had same in green. Drats when we wore it on the same day.
  • That hot pants outfit in college. The one my dad never knew I had
  • My 'Summer of 42' wrap dress and wedge sandals - great date night wear  
  • That fabulous Indigo Moon jacket I loved wearing to work
  • My memory fades with clothes above size 7. That's weird  
"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

This is fun.  I love yellow, I had a black leather skirt with the perfect yellow V neck sweater top and the perfect shade of yellow heels.  2-3 inch heels, like the ladies wore on TV in the 60s.  Man I thought I was something in that outfit lol