Honored Contributor

Re: The term “frumpy”....

@jubilant wrote:

Annette, before

Something like this...maybe??? I always thought of "frumpy" as something it looked like you slept in and then went out in it.

From what I have read (which prompted me to start this thread) the term "older lady" clothing has been tossed out a lot. Wild prints, polyester clothing and certain brands sold at the Q have been targeted. 

It seems there are a variety of definitions that apply dependent upon whom you ask...

Thanks @jubilant .

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

What is called "frumpy" today may be a trend tomorrow. 

I'm all too aware of the fashion industry enticing women to buy the latest styles.  It's how fashion houses and retailers stay in business.  "Last year's styles look so outdated, now."

For me, it's not so much outdated dressing as it is wearing flattering colors, styles, sizes, and accessories. Women can look frumpy in the latest styles when they don't wear something that looks good on them.  

@Foxxee 

Right on!  Go post.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

many lines here on QVC are frumpy. I will not name them... but you know which ones I am talking about.....

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Uh-oh. I'm reading this thread "dressed" in PJs and somewhat old robe. Smiley Embarassed In my defense, it's still fairly early here.

I am a casual dresser. I wear skinny jeans and a sweater or nice tee pretty much wherever I go, which is nowhere right now. If I were to spif it up, I do have a few nice dress trousers. But no need at the moment.

@suzyQ3 

You're speaking to me, as I sit here in my sweat pants, warm socks and my Comfy!

I just can't seem to get warm lately! 

@KingstonsMom, I am always cold lately too. And I have no excuse, given that I live in SoCa.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

I have no excuse either, since I live in S/E coastal GA, Savannah!

We're having daytime temps of 50's and lows in the lower 30's, which is COLD for us! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Well...I Googled "frumpy"...have to say a whole host of looks, both young and old come up...then this. I think we can all agree on this one. There were a few very sad "mom jeans" looks too. We may not all agree on how to describe it...but I think most of us know when we see it, or feel it on ourselves.

BC7DCE2D-B338-461D-A16C-02FCE6F2779E.jpeg

See - for me, change the shoes to cowboy boots, or casual boots, get rid of the sweater vest, and change the white sweater to a light denim shirt, sleeves rolled up, and big turquoise jewelry. Add a western belt. 

THAT would an outfit I'd proudly wear, and I'd look GOOD!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

GURL....  Oh I know the ones your are talking about.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

many lines here on QVC are frumpy. I will not name them... but you know which ones I am talking about.....

Respected Contributor

If I put something on and feel I resemble a lump of overworked dough, I know it’s frumpy. To me there is blah frumpy and floral frumpy, and both I try to avoid. I agree with those who find it to be subjective. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

Annette, before

Something like this...maybe??? I always thought of "frumpy" as something it looked like you slept in and then went out in it.

From what I have read (which prompted me to start this thread) the term "older lady" clothing has been tossed out a lot. Wild prints, polyester clothing and certain brands sold at the Q have been targeted. 

It seems there are a variety of definitions that apply dependent upon whom you ask...

Thanks @jubilant .

@Trinity11   Your welcome! Yes, many definitions. I think frumpy is in the eye of the beholder.

Valued Contributor

oh goofed as was not responding to frumpy as i am many times frumpy to younger people. i was wondering if not on social media how you let gary (d&c) know you want the original waist pant to have a black DENIM. the 4 pocket are not the same.i know have a couple pair . they have a different fit and not a good different. iam donating them.