Honored Contributor

Re: The scalloped seams on the G.I.L.I. TSV can be found on any Graver faux jacket

@truffle wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

There is no comparison to the detailed and quality stitching on today's leather GILI TSV and any fake pleather item of Susan's.

Susan is the QUEEN of pieced jackets with scallop detail.  That really is my point.  This G.I.L.I. TSV looks like her written all over it.  Of course she does not make fitted anything (that I'm aware of) or use leather.  

I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree...  no comparison to the two jackets even though SG pieces her material and tries for higher end detailing.  I bought one of her jackets and was so thoroughly disappointed in how it looked (up close, personal and on) that I sent it back.  Even DH said he could see it was pleather a mile away.   You can copy high end detailing and use faux leathers and no matter how much SG says it looks and feels real, It really doesn't.....  Woman Sad  

@Q4uThere are different grades of faux leather just like there are different grades of leather.  Stella McCartney who charges thousands for her jackets only uses faux leather.  She is vegan.  

Well, yes I do understand that however I've sewn since I was in Jr. High and over the many years I've handled fabrics, sewn (even leathers and faux leathers) never ever seen a faux leather that looks and feels real.  Not once.  Even looking at the high end designer's faux leather items (Neiman Marcus in San Diego) and I can tell it's not leather.....  it may be an extremely nice substitution and cost way too much for what it is..... but that's what it ends up being.... IMHO....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: The scalloped seams on the G.I.L.I. TSV can be found on any Graver faux jacket

I find nothing wrong with the 'edges' if that's your taste but I don't think they're the 'costly' detail Jill would have us believe when they can be rather easily achieved with pinking shears regardless of the material..

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I find nothing wrong with the 'edges' if that's your taste but I don't think they're the 'costly' detail Jill would have us believe when they can be rather easily achieved with pinking shears regardless of the material..

I don't think they're the costly detail either. 

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Q4u This is the only item I own from SG.  No one has ever questioned that it wasn't leather.  It's a263775.

While I think it's a stunning jacket and you most probably look great in it, how many would actually come up to you and tell you or question you about it not being leather?  I mean obviously you love it and love wearing it and look good in it.... no one would dare come up to you and question you as to whether or not it was leather.... most people are too kind to do anything otherwise.   All I've been trying to say is that faux and real look and feel differently from each other....  they just do.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@Q4u This is the only item I own from SG.  No one has ever questioned that it wasn't leather.  It's a263775.

While I think it's a stunning jacket and you most probably look great in it, how many would actually come up to you and tell you or question you about it not being leather?  I mean obviously you love it and love wearing it and look good in it.... no one would dare come up to you and question you as to whether or not it was leather.... most people are too kind to do anything otherwise.   All I've been trying to say is that faux and real look and feel differently from each other....  they just do.

@Q4u my family and friends are pretty honest with me.  For example I bought a BMakowsky hobo bag and was told by all that it felt rubbery yet Makowski stated it was 100% leather.  I asked the community forum and people came out of nowhere to post to me that yes, that particular leather handbag did feel like rubber.  This is the one.

B. Makowsky Glove Leather Zip-Top Hobo  NWT  $238

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@Q4u my family and friends are pretty honest with me.  For example I bought a BMakowsky hobo bag and was told by all that it felt rubbery yet Makowski stated it was 100% leather.  I asked the community forum and people came out of nowhere to post to me that yes, that particular leather handbag did feel like rubber.  This is the one.

B. Makowsky Glove Leather Zip-Top Hobo  NWT  $238

Very interesting.... I have never experienced a faux leather looking and feeling like real quality leather, whether it was in material goods or a designer jacket at NM.   So we'll just have to laugh and agree to disagree about it.....  Woman Wink  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u I don't know if you've ever been to a brick and mortar store that only sold leather but I have. Wilson's Leather and Suede and believe me you'd be amazed at the different textures and feel.  I tried on many jackets that day and did ask the store clerk if one was really leather as it absolutely did not feel like it.  It of course was.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've been in Wilson's Leather and Suede and the products they sell  (excuse me for saying this) are not top of the line.  You'll find extreme variances in leather quality there much like the leather products sold in Tijuana (used to go down there to shop when I lived in San Diego).....  Some decent, but none truly what I'm talking about, and some actually have serious variations even within the item itself when they use panels.  The leather in Wilson's isn't comparable IMHO.

If you're able, go into a Neiman Marcus or a Nordstroms and feel (and smell) some of their exquisite leather jackets.  I purchased a leather 3/4 length jacket from Nordstroms quite a few years ago, that  jacket is incredible.  It's woefully out of date now but I just can't bring myself to donate it.  I'll occasionally take it out of my closet and put it on just to revel in it.....

Really good, quality leathers have no resemblence whatsoever to faux leather.  

.... I think we've pretty much covered this subject, got to go... hope you have a great evening....