Honored Contributor

By sheer accident, I found 100% cotton (organic, fair trade, not that that mattered in my hunt), t-shirts in a nice heavy weight with the right deep scoop neck and sleeve length and fit at the organic grocery store.

They were on sale for $11.99 each.  I bought 2 black and 2 white on sale and love them so much that I went back the next week and bought 2 more in each color at full price of $15.99.

So far they have held up well to washing and line drying.  They have not shrunk (I washed in cold and line dried).

I also found 100% Pima t-shirts at Talbots on sale for $17 each a few weeks back.  The fit is not ideal for wearing alone, but is fine under a jacket or zip front athetic jacket.  The neckline is the dealbreaker for me, so if the neckline is perfect, I can make the rest work.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@151949Prices are up everywhere so you have to shop around.  I have found some good buys at QVC and JJill.  JJill is offering 30% off your purchase so you will get some great buys.  Plus their tees are pima cotton.  I have also found that Isaac makes excellent tee shirts.  Cat Very Happy

My point is that you do not need to pay the QVC prices for a very good t shirt. $49 for a t shirt is just ridiculous IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13  Yes. I buy only the perfect tees from woman within since I found them a few years ago. They are, indeed , perfect tees. I especially like the v neck, shirred tunics which come in a zillion colors and are only $13.99.

Honored Contributor

Why don't you ladies put t  shirts in the dryer? I would never own a t shirt I could not put in the dryer. As i stated before I buy mine at Woman Within for only $13.99 and I wash them in hot water and toss them in the dryer every week. I've been buying them for a few years now and they are 100% cotton and none have shrunk, faded or gotten out of shape. I wash about 10 t shirts a week just for myself, I'd never wash all those by hand and hang them up , and since I cook and clean house in them - they need washed in hot water to get them clean, and they do not fade.

Honored Contributor

I ordered two t shirts from Talbots this morning. 3/4 sleeves, bateau neck, my standard t shirt. On sale for $20.65 each. I think that's a great price. 

I've never had a Talbots t shrink, pill or fade. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I ordered two t shirts from Talbots this morning. 3/4 sleeves, bateau neck, my standard t shirt. On sale for $20.65 each. I think that's a great price. 

I've never had a Talbots t shrink, pill or fade. 

Same for me.

In fact, when I lose weight and the tshirt is too big for me, it's relegated to working from home lounge wear.

I have 2 tshirts that I can't tell you how old they are, they are yellow and fuschia.  They still look as good as the day I bought them, they are just relegated to the indoor only drawer.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The "right" price for anything is a match between what ther seller wants and the buyer is willing to pay -  that goes for everything from a T shirt to a house.

Right now one of my favorite tees came from Eileen Fisher -  probably about $118, but I found it on a rack at Goodwill for $8. And 3 years later, it still wears new.  Still, I have yet to pay north of $100 for a shirt I always wear under something else!

Honored Contributor

Re: The price of t shirts

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Why don't you ladies put t  shirts in the dryer? I would never own a t shirt I could not put in the dryer. As i stated before I buy mine at Woman Within for only $13.99 and I wash them in hot water and toss them in the dryer every week. I've been buying them for a few years now and they are 100% cotton and none have shrunk, faded or gotten out of shape. I wash about 10 t shirts a week just for myself, I'd never wash all those by hand and hang them up , and since I cook and clean house in them - they need washed in hot water to get them clean, and they do not fade.

I never put any of my clothing in the dryer unless it's a pair of socks or something.  The dryer ruins clothing. The fabric tumbles and breaks down the fibers. I don't use hot water either. I use luke warm water and a cold rinse.  I pretreat grease spots I get from from cooking.

I have had a few of those Womans within shirts.  I didn't like them.  The fabric was too thin and didn't have the " hand" that I prefer. I only buy 100% cotton, no poly or spandex in them. They also ran too small in the bust, shoulder and arm area for me.

Honored Contributor

I only put sheets and towels in the dryer.

Everything else is line dry or dry clean.

I have a townhouse and I have a retractable clothes line in my utility room.  

In the winter, I can put a pair of jeans in my spare bathroom and close the door and they are dry by morning ;o)

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: The price of t shirts

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I never put any of my clothing in the dryer unless it's a pair of socks or something.  The dryer ruins clothing. The fabric tumbles and breaks down the fibers. I don't use hot water either. I use luke warm water and a cold rinse.  I pretreat grease spots I get from from cooking.

I have had a few of those Womans within shirts.  I didn't like them.  The fabric was too thin and didn't have the " hand" that I prefer. I only buy 100% cotton, no poly or spandex in them. They also ran too small in the bust, shoulder and arm area for me.

I think the vast majority of women disagree with you because vthey sell out on colors/styles on these shirts regularly. As for them not fitting - perhaps you should have bought the size for your measurements. And they are 100% cotton.