Honored Contributor

Re: The power of dressing UP for ourselves.

Author:   Yes, just thinking about my lonely clothes, just hanging there.......waiting and waiting for someone.......anyone..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I love that beautiful doggie!  

Respected Contributor

Heart the photo! Thanks for sharing.
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Author:   Yes, just thinking about my lonely clothes, just hanging there.......waiting and waiting for someone.......anyone..........

@ROMARY 

Grab a friend and go out to lunch.  I would but we're not close enough!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I always dress for myself whether it be casual wear or something dressier. 

I tend to dress up more than the average person. On more than one occasion, I have had someone ask me, "Why are you so dressed up?" 

Dressing up means different things to different people. 
For some who live in lounge wear, a pair of jeans or causal pants is dressing up. For others, including me, dressing up means wearing suits, dresses, tailored trousers, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

No real surprise he said that. Anyone in the position of trying to sell something (shoes) wants people to dress up...even if they wear his shoes vacuuming.😁🤪

I was about to post the same thing!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whether I dress up or not has nothing to do with how I feel.  Sometimes I feel better dressed up, sometimes I feel better dressed down!

I do like fashions and style!

But I don't understand why some think jeans are more dressed up than leggings or joggers.  Many joggers and leggings look better than jeans.

And many places won't admit people with jeans, but they will admit people with joggers and leggings.

Respected Contributor

@wilma 

I too tend to "dress up" more than others, always have. I love fashion, even down to what jeans and top and shoes and jewelry and bag I want to wear informally, just always have and hope that I always will.

People, including DH, have also asked me why I'm dressed up or if I'm going to something special when it is simply my normal daily look. I think of it as not overly glam but classic, sort of tailored with a bit of artsy thrown in, or a slant towards Chanel or Ralph Lauren.

Why not wear that gorgeous statement jacket over a simple top and jeans or pants? Or the special piece of jewelry that makes the outfit? Or red suede shoes.....and in winter a fabulous coat! My long red Linea trench coat fills the bill nicely and always gets compliments.

I admit to turning towards more simple things the past year or so, but now have broken out jewelry and nicer things "just because." I still wear a mask when going out but realize the rest of me can look smashing!

Honored Contributor

It doesn't register with me either!  I don't even understand people who walk around in pj's all day.   I started working from my home office 6 years ago and I never got into that loungewear pj way of dressing.  I dressed in the same casual clothes I wore to the office.  I did my hair, wore jewelry and makeup.  My one concession to being home was think socks instead of shoes.  So, nothing changed for me when Covid struck.  While my 8 year old niece wore pj's most of the time, her parents , hubby and I dressed nicely.  Comfortably but nicely.  I think because it lifted our spirits and made us feel good about ourselves.  And we wanted to look nice for each other.   

Honored Contributor

I completely agree with him. Dressing up doesn't have to mean anything fancy-it's caring enough about yourself to make an effort. For yourself, not for others. For me it makes a difference.

Thanks for the picture @1Professor ,  I had never seen a photo of Manolo.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"