Respected Contributor

Re: The horror of an underwire bra

If it's properly fitting I don't see how it could be uncomfortable.  I've never noticed the wires in mine.

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom wrote:

I have two undewire bra stories....

First, I had to wear one to a wedding years ago--I bought a lovely dress to wear, but didn't realize the sheer top part would show my bra straps, so had to buy an underwire  strapless one (I am not small on top)--took me forever to find one that fit. Wore it for hours during the wedding--I could not breath after awhile--it really hurt my ribs--pure torture. The minute we got back in the car after the reception, I unzipped the top of my dress, somehow unhooked that bra and pulled it off of me--my husband had no idea what was going on--nor did I care someone could see me in our car getting undressed! I said never again will I wear one--not worth the pain and irritation--just NO!!!

Second, my Mom would wear a bra with a wire all the time. Until she was diagnosed with beast cancer---twice----right where the wire poked her is where the cancer showed up.Another reason not to wear such a thing. Just saying.

There is no scientific proof that underwires cause breast cancer.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Definitely agree with @cherry !

I remember a similar topic /underwire/ breezies a year ago. I had purchase three breezeeeeeee ZES 4 months before topic.

WORSE bra ever.... !   !   !   ! (for me).

I will not wear one again, even if fitted, costing $70.00, and have.

Stabbing, pinching .... I called mine.

>> The Contraption of all times. <<

Large busted would be myself.

An all cotton- soft banded underneath is what I feel safe and comfortable wearing / home 0.

`(my opinion)` 

My mother was of the same belief; she found only ...1... style that was comfortable, and from that finding, she always bought everyone they had, usually at the most, 12.

I will never understand how anyone can /could tolerate wire digging into their skin. I can only speak for myself in preferences to, but in my profession, not one female wore an underwire that I knew, personally. Wearing scrubs, we went without. 

@ALRATIBA , so I do understand.

Despise "Wired" bras 

Honored Contributor

You haven't lived........unless you have had to wear a "merry widow" under a bridesmaid gown...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Like many of the ladies, I too have a large bosom and feel the need to wear underwire bras. Fit is a very important aspect to comfort. I've been wearing the same make/model of bra for years. Never seems to go on sale. Worth it's weight for durability, comfort and support. I do take it off as soon as I know I won't be going outside again for the day. Hey, I'm an old lady and taking off my bra is my reward for the day. No calorie reward!

Just recently I stumbled upon a tank/shaper that is astoundingly supportive and I've begun wearing that while I'm working at home and have on more layers. Won't be able to do that come spring/summer, but man, if I was a b cup, I don't think I would wear anything but this tank.  It's called - Aha Moment by n-fini Women's Lycra Dbl V-Neck Tank Shapewear Wire Free Built-in Soft Cup Bra - and costs around $45. I have zero do do w/ this company. It's just such a great fitting support tank that I'm thinking of buying another so I have back up when this one is in the wash. I seriously think this thing is an engineering marvel. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

You haven't lived........unless you have had to wear a "merry widow" under a bridesmaid gown...........

@Desertdi , that's so FUNNEEEEEEEEEEE, I have not heard that before. Sure enough, the end would be near for me, or gone before the whatsoever.  Haaaaaaaa!

Honored Contributor

I'm rather small chested, so I need an underwire to actaullly give me a bust.  Only time I don't wear one is when I'm working out in the yard, the gym,  and with some of my skating cosutmes.  I don't even notice I'm wearing them most of the time.  

I prefer demi bras and hate it when they discontinue the one brand/style that works for me.  Not many brands fit me right (36 A).  Victoria's Secret is a NO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'm rather small chested, so I need an underwire to actaullly give me a bust.  Only time I don't wear one is when I'm working out in the yard, the gym,  and with some of my skating cosutmes.  I don't even notice I'm wearing them most of the time.  

I prefer demi bras and hate it when they discontinue the one brand/style that works for me.  Not many brands fit me right (36 A).  Victoria's Secret is a NO.

So I purchased a demi bra when I was younger because I thought they were "romantic" (I don't think they let me write the word I mean). Alas, with the size of my chest, I had the dreaded double bubble. It was actually hysterically funny. My husband was aghast and then he doubled over laughing. Once in awhile he brings up my attempt at the bitty bra when he see's my, ahem, large size bras hanging up to dry.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

My DD’s require a wire. It’s never bothered me.
Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 ,

I am interested.   I appreciated how very...

!!   (> below, continued:

@kate2357 wrote:

Like many of the ladies, I too have a large bosom and feel the need to wear underwire bras. Fit is a very important aspect to comfort. I've been wearing the same make/model of bra for years. Never seems to go on sale. Worth it's weight for durability, comfort and support. I do take it off as soon as I know I won't be going outside again for the day. Hey, I'm an old lady and taking off my bra is my reward for the day. No calorie reward!

Just recently I stumbled upon a tank/shaper that is astoundingly supportive and I've begun wearing that while I'm working at home and have on more layers. Won't be able to do that come spring/summer, but man, if I was a b cup, I don't think I would wear anything but this tank.  It's called - Aha Moment by n-fini Women's Lycra Dbl V-Neck Tank Shapewear Wire Free Built-in Soft Cup Bra - and costs around $45. I have zero do do w/ this company. It's just such a great fitting support tank that I'm thinking of buying another so I have back up when this one is in the wash. I seriously think this thing is an engineering marvel. 

!!! >   decriptive that was.  [[ Writing that down]]. 

And I am no 'b' ...but just will not wear one when home. 

"..... more into the D-DD; it's the tighten feel around the upper rib area and those lop sided - never fits straps. I'm rather small waisted, but under the arms is where the staves stabs"....

Never remembered having this problem.