Contributor

Re: The horror of an underwire bra

Same thing happened to me back when I wore them. I stopped wearing them years ago when a news report told of a woman who developed a severe infection when her wire poked through the bra cloth and pierced her skin.

I always found them uncomfortable, and that news report was exactly what I needed to talk me out of ever wearing them again.

Unfortunately, I am well endowed and need support. But I would rather be comfortable.

Frequent Contributor

I used to wear an underwire bra. I am small and petite, but full busted.  I had breast cancer, and I had to have surgery.  Now the underwire does not work for me.  For my comfort, I wear soft, front closure bras with no wires. The better quality underwire bras worked for me, but as I said, can't wear them anymore.

Respected Contributor

I CAN"T wear an underwire bra due to the scar line of my lumpectomy.  I buy all bras at Marshall's or TJMaxx and they most often are 2 for $16.00.  They are the best and have worked for me for several years!

Trusted Contributor

I am really dumb...having never worn an underwire bra, would someone explain to me how exactly they work?  What do they do?  How does having a metal wire in your bra cup help?  TIA.

Honored Contributor

I could make a lot of suggestios,but the OP has already made up her mind. She could go to an upscale B and M and have a bra fitter give some ideas. But I think that is not what she wants.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I could make a lot of suggestios,but the OP has already made up her mind. She could go to an upscale B and M and have a bra fitter give some ideas. But I think that is not what she wants.

--------------------------------

True ... that's not what I want.  I wasn't askng for suggestions .... simply stating my opinion that I thought that underwire bras were instruments of torture.  

I only wear wire free t-shirt bras in beige or black.   I'm barely a B cup and don't need any industrial strength support.  No floppy bits to corral behind a wire fence!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

--------------------------------

True ... that's not what I want.  I wasn't askng for suggestions .... simply stating my opinion that I thought that underwire bras were instruments of torture.  

I only wear wire free t-shirt bras in beige or black.   I'm barely a B cup and don't need any industrial strength support.  No floppy bits to corral behind a wire fence!

That's great that are happy with your choice, @ALRATIBA. Those of us who for whatever reason, not necessarily for industrial strength support or floppy bits (both good reasons), prefer underwire are surely fine with our choice.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I could not live my life without underwire bras. Nothing else gives as good support. I am 34DD so the no wire ones don't give the appearance I desire.  Which is lifted and high.  I don't find them uncomfortable though. All the ones I have fit nicely.