Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: The horror of an underwire bra

I love my under wire bras but like others said fit is everything.  I have worn them nearly all my life.  Without I would get sore from the bands from one without an underwire and any one that was not an underwire  that might happen to fit gave the look of one lumped together roll.  

Honored Contributor

I only wear the stretch bras with no clips anywhere.  It goes over my head unlike ones that first came out and you had to pull up from your feet (ugh).

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I sleep with an underwire bra. In fact the only time I don't have one on is when I bathe. It's just too uncomfortable for me to go without an underwire bra on at any time. 

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@Gracies Mom wrote:

I have two undewire bra stories....

First, I had to wear one to a wedding years ago--I bought a lovely dress to wear, but didn't realize the sheer top part would show my bra straps, so had to buy an underwire  strapless one (I am not small on top)--took me forever to find one that fit. Wore it for hours during the wedding--I could not breath after awhile--it really hurt my ribs--pure torture. The minute we got back in the car after the reception, I unzipped the top of my dress, somehow unhooked that bra and pulled it off of me--my husband had no idea what was going on--nor did I care someone could see me in our car getting undressed! I said never again will I wear one--not worth the pain and irritation--just NO!!!

Second, my Mom would wear a bra with a wire all the time. Until she was diagnosed with beast cancer---twice----right where the wire poked her is where the cancer showed up.Another reason not to wear such a thing. Just saying.

I have problems with all bras, having got a pinched nerve between my shoulder blades after years and years of bra wearing.  

An underwire bra gave me a case of mastitis after only one wearing.  

I agree they look better under a t-shirt.

@GrailSeeker @Gracies Mom 

You two must have made a fortune on your lawsuits huh?!

Respected Contributor

I cannot wear them either. Every underwire always works its way out and jabs me. It doesn’t matter how expensive the bra is.
Esteemed Contributor

I hate underwire bras. I gave all of them away and I had some very nice ones from Soma. I was fitted and they fit fine but I had a lump removed right where the wire was and after that it just hurt. I now wear Aah bras or similar. 

Honored Contributor

I've always worn an underwire.  I prefer the feeling of holding on to my torso.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been wearing wire bras since I developed into a young women.  I am too busty to go with a wire free bra.

yes, some hurt and I have had wire break and tear through the bra fabric and into my underarm flesh, but this is better than a wire fee bra that rolls up under my breasts and has no support.

I just check my bra that I am wearing now.  the right side has wire and the left side has

only half of the wire.  It must have broken in half worked it's way out in the wash.  I just grabbed a bra out of the drawer this morning and put it on without looking or thinking.

Good grief!  I was out and about all day.  I hope no one noticed. It's a good thing it's cold enough to wear a coat.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I haven't worn anything but underwire bras in the last 30 years!  If you get a really good one that fits well, they are the most comfortable by far, at least for me!  

Mine are just medium sized but I love them, although they are expensive!

Honored Contributor

I stopped wearing them because I got poked in the underarm ...I just got 2 new bras from Talbot's, that are underwire and they fit like magic

The worst bra I ever owned was made by Breeezies