Respected Contributor

Re: The horror of an underwire bra

If it was uncomfortable, it didn't fit properly. It's that simple. 

I am large busted and need to wear an underwire bra. 

If I go thru my collection, every single style is a different size, yet they all fit properly and are comfortable. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom I have never been poked by my underwire bra...I really need the support and a non wire will not give that support.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I was a struggling "C" cup for the first part of adulthood. Underwire bras were my norm.

Anyway, I ended up needing some tissue around the breasts removed, and decided to go to a plastic surgeon for the procedure (my primary care doc had recommended me to a general surgeon). 

The plastic surgeon was awesome! She told me before the procedure I was going to lose some volume but she promised I would be happy with the outcome. I came out a "B", and on the smaller side of that. But I never needed a support bra after that, and I have been forever appreciative.

No more underwires for me, ever again. I agree with the OP, I hated them. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Trusted Contributor

@Gracies Mom wrote:

I have two undewire bra stories....

First, I had to wear one to a wedding years ago--I bought a lovely dress to wear, but didn't realize the sheer top part would show my bra straps, so had to buy an underwire  strapless one (I am not small on top)--took me forever to find one that fit. Wore it for hours during the wedding--I could not breath after awhile--it really hurt my ribs--pure torture. The minute we got back in the car after the reception, I unzipped the top of my dress, somehow unhooked that bra and pulled it off of me--my husband had no idea what was going on--nor did I care someone could see me in our car getting undressed! I said never again will I wear one--not worth the pain and irritation--just NO!!!

Second, my Mom would wear a bra with a wire all the time. Until she was diagnosed with beast cancer---twice----right where the wire poked her is where the cancer showed up.Another reason not to wear such a thing. Just saying.

I have problems with all bras, having got a pinched nerve between my shoulder blades after years and years of bra wearing.  

An underwire bra gave me a case of mastitis after only one wearing.  

I agree they look better under a t-shirt.

Respected Contributor

I wear an underwire bra most of the time, and don't have any issues.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear a 32 B. But I have to wear a bra with an underwire because of the shape of my breasts. Think Bob Hope's nose.

I don't believe that they have anything to do with breast cancer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I actually prefer an underwire, but fit is important. If it fits properly I have no problem. 

Same here.  I only wear underwire since it gives me better support than bras without it.  However it makes a huge difference when you get a well fitting bra!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Underwire bras have come a long way since the old days.

I wear Bali bras and I was measured and got the correct size, I find them comfy.

Honored Contributor

I was stabbed into my arm pit by an underwire that poked through a bra. That was it for me. Under wires don’t work well for the largest band sizes.
Respected Contributor

Something a poster mentioned as I quickly skimmed through.

I have worn an underwire for over 50 years and can remember an episode where I was driving home from leading an all-day seminar.  I thought I was having a heart attack...but really constricted by the underwire.  

Passed a mall and stopped into Macy’s and went to the bra department.  The fitter there had the solution:  I needed the next size up as menopause caused some spread there !

The correct size is extremely important for both comfort and support.  Too, different brands are not sized exactly the same !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill