Honored Contributor

The horror of an underwire bra

I bought several bras a couple of months ago.  I ALWAYS wear a wireless t-shirt style bra, but this last time, I also bought an underwire that was on sale just to try it out.  Same size and brand as all my other bras ... only difference was an underwire.

How do you people wear those things!  They are instriuments of torture!

I put it on yesterday morning ... went out to do a few errands (bank / Walgreens / pick up package).   Wasn't doing any thing unusual ... just walking.  Not even carrying anything (use a walker).  I was out less than an hour.

It was so uncomfortable, the minute I got home and got my coat off, I actually took a pair of scissors and cut it off my body.  Couldn't even wait until I got undressed!

Respected Contributor

Re: The horror of an underwire bra

I have worn an underwire bra for 30 years with absolutely no troubles whatsoever. Obviously they are popular or they wouldn't sell them.

I would want to know what the problem was before I cut it off, but I guess that 10 seconds was too long. 

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBAI wear an underwire almost always - there's barely a wireless bra in existence that gives support for my bust, but if the bra has been properly fitted, it should not feel uncomfortable.

Valued Contributor

I have two undewire bra stories....

First, I had to wear one to a wedding years ago--I bought a lovely dress to wear, but didn't realize the sheer top part would show my bra straps, so had to buy an underwire  strapless one (I am not small on top)--took me forever to find one that fit. Wore it for hours during the wedding--I could not breath after awhile--it really hurt my ribs--pure torture. The minute we got back in the car after the reception, I unzipped the top of my dress, somehow unhooked that bra and pulled it off of me--my husband had no idea what was going on--nor did I care someone could see me in our car getting undressed! I said never again will I wear one--not worth the pain and irritation--just NO!!!

Second, my Mom would wear a bra with a wire all the time. Until she was diagnosed with beast cancer---twice----right where the wire poked her is where the cancer showed up.Another reason not to wear such a thing. Just saying.

Honored Contributor

I actually prefer an underwire, but fit is important. If it fits properly I have no problem. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA.  The bra obviously didn't fit you properly.  I need good support and have worn an underwire my whole life.  I don't even feel it and certainly never got the urge to rip it off.  Even in the same style, I imagine there's a difference in the fit of wire free and undetwires.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Maybe the  bra wasn't properly fitted for the wearer?  Maybe it was just too small in the band and/or the cups, so the wearer feels tightly bound and constricted.

I personally find the  wireless types to be uncomfortable and unflattering.  Maybe I'm just odd, but they don't seem to stay in place and do their job.

Quality of  any undergarment also seems to contribute to comfort.......or lack thereof.  Unfortunately, it sometimes means paying more.

Honored Contributor

I have worn underwire bras for most of my life...I am full busted and it's a must for me.

Respected Contributor

I agree with OP. Can't stand them. Only had one in my lifetime and it didn't take long until it found its way to the trash. Luckily, I don't "need" one or the support that many ladies do. Not much upstairs. Lol! I would go bra-less before I'd wear an underwire ever again. 😂 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

The difference is my  wire-free bras have a bottom band and underwire doesn't.  Apparently, I need a botttom band on my bra!   

I'm rather "unendowed" (barely "B") - not enough there to keep the wires in place.   I would imagine if someone had a larger cup size, there would be no issue keeping it in place.

Never again!