Trusted Contributor

Re: The dress Lisa wore last night can be found at Nordstrom's for $2,990.00

I would think she does not get them on loan. She is a host on QVC not a movie star or famous music artist. The majority of the customers who buy from QVC cannot afford a dress at that price so it would serve no purpose for the designer or store to loan it to her. On the other hand, I'm sure she can get loaners from many of the designers who have lines on QVC.

Respected Contributor

lol, Oh, so it's practically free!

Personally, I didn't care for the dress at all. I don't like my dresses that long and I didn't care for the pattern across the top of it. Kind of looked like graphics from Batman...."Pow", "Bam", etc.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2014 Beejene said:

I would think she does not get them on loan. She is a host on QVC not a movie star or famous music artist. The majority of the customers who buy from QVC cannot afford a dress at that price so it would serve no purpose for the designer or store to loan it to her. On the other hand, I'm sure she can get loaners from many of the designers who have lines on QVC.

She can write off part of it on her taxes as a business expense.

My ex was a sports commentator on TV. His Max Factor pancake makeup, suits, shirts, etc. (in years when they weren't given clothes from an advertiser) were all write offs - a good chunk.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2014 grandma r said:

Obviously she can afford it. Good for her.

Why is it important that we know the cost of the host wardrobes???? Seriously! They make good money and have the freedom to purchase whatever they want.

I don't think it was about finding out what the host's clothes cost. I think it was more along the lines of the OP liking the outfit enough to want to buy it for herself...until she saw the price.

Regular Contributor

We'll probably see a G.I.L.I. version soon!!

Honored Contributor

I did not see the dress but I wonder if articles clothing used for work are a tax write off. I also wonder if manicures, hair dressing, plastic surgery, etc, etc can be written off. Pretty sweet deal if they can!

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2014 DiAnne said:

I did not see the dress but I wonder if articles clothing used for work are a tax write off. I also wonder if manicures, hair dressing, plastic surgery, etc, etc can be written off. Pretty sweet deal if they can!

My ex used to be able to write off haircuts and cosmetic dental (as an ex hockey player, he had numerous fake teeth!)

I think the rules have been tightened in the last 5 years or so.

Regular Contributor

On 3/29/2014 willdob3 said:
On 3/29/2014 grandma r said:

Obviously she can afford it. Good for her.

Why is it important that we know the cost of the host wardrobes???? Seriously! They make good money and have the freedom to purchase whatever they want.

I don't think it was about finding out what the host's clothes cost. I think it was more along the lines of the OP liking the outfit enough to want to buy it for herself...until she saw the price.

Thank you willdob - Granny had her b l o o m e r s in a knot for no reason. Lisa loves for people to know she can afford the best - good for her.

Honored Contributor

You cannot write off clothes unless they are specifically used for your job. Since this dress can be worn in her off time, she cannot deduct it.
Esteemed Contributor

Why would she get a tax write off for a dress worn to work? It's not a uniform, which would be tax deductible. And I doubt Nordstrom's or any other competitor would "loan" it to her ... for what purpose?