Honored Contributor

Re: The combat boot trend - Are you a fan?

[ Edited ]

I own two pairs.  Both are Dr. Martens.  One is black & the other is in oxblood. They are almost ideal with some jeans.  I wear them to work, sometimes (but never with jeans)  Technically I could (I work at a university, and we don't have a dress code)  I wear them with a full skirt sometimes.  I like the contrast of something feminine and tomboy at the same time. Very cute shoes.  The company based them on the old British style of worker's boots.   They first appeared during the "Punk era"  Never really went out of style.  But lately, they're huge.  There are two types of them.  One (cheaper) made in China.  The other and more expensive are made in the UK.

The idea is to wear them with very short skirts.  That's they way they wear them on campus.

Image result for doc martens and dresses

Honored Contributor

This was a trend in the 80's nothing new here.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

@Nonametoday thanks. I am now fairly opposed to ever wearing combat boots. Don't own them and most probably won't think to buy them anytime soon. Smiley LOL

Super Contributor

I can see the appeal of this floral print pair. I'm sure they look good paired with jeans. It's still a nay for me. 

Honored Contributor

I have 1 pair, in fact I think they are Clarks.   I only wear them in a casual situation, like going to an outdoor event in a field or anywhere that's not paved.    Not for fashion.

Respected Contributor

I'm a fan - always have been, always will be.  I like a more streamlined version, though, not necessarily the Dr. Martens.  I find those to be a little clunky and they are far too wide for my feet, too.  If the AS98s I bought this weekend don't work out, I'm seriously considering a pair of these.  Frye Savannah Combat.  You can see the video at Zappos.Frye-Savannah-Combat-Cement.jpg

Honored Contributor

Only if I were inclined to go hiking.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

No, no, and no.  Look clunky and too heavy to walk comfortably.  I've never understood Ugg boots either.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Not really. 

If I did wear them however, I would do them with skinny jeans or leggings.

And, also the kind without a lot of sole or heel height.

I would also stick with solid black.

(I am so with the person who mentioned tan work boots back in the ‘70’s, been there done that too! Loved ❤️ Mine!)

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a city where there are five military installations and combat boots are a very common sight. I prefer to leave them as part of their uniforms and wear boots that are not so utilitarian-looking.

eta - I think the grunge look is creeping back upon us, with the tattered, ripped clothing and clunky footwear.