Super Contributor

The Scarf, the Sleeves, & the Transition...

This is where I blahblahblah about my purchases, show you a few outfits, brag about my thrift finds, and ask your opinions. Your comments are always welcome. I enjoy reading your styling tips and suggestions (many of which I've incorporated into my wardrobe), as well as your thoughts about certain brands, styles, accessories, etc.

I apologize if I'm repeating myself here...I can't remember what I said on which forum or when!

The Scarf: I wanted to show you what I did with the pink Rebecca Minkoff daisy scarf...

Here's the pic I posted a few weeks ago...

The thrifted blouse looks good in the pic, but the placement of the smocking cut my bust line in half as soon as I moved (an empire-waist-gone-wrong look) and poofed out like a maternity top. Bottom line, the blouse went into the (re)donation bag.  

The scarf was too big and bulky for my liking, so I cut it to a 25" square.

Here's a close-up. The scarf is brighter and bolder in real life...it was a bit of a "circus" in its original size. For me (YMMV), a scarf enhances an outfit with a pop of interest in pattern or color...I don't want my scarf to be the focus of my outfit or to walk into the room before I do.

Here's how I'll be wearing it instead (thrifted Chico's no-iron blouse with princess seams. I'm going to get that kool rolled up sleeve thang right eventually, or not)...

The Sleeves: This BeachLunchLounge lightweight thermal tee with sleeves (TJMaxx) reminded me of something similar I drooled over in a Sundance catalog, which I'm sure was ridiculously priced. This is an xsmall, so it is very snug and smooth under my tops, which is a huge plus 'cuz I hate when buttons, plackets, pockets, etc. from a base layer shows thru as lumps and bumps. This dupe was $8 and a no brainer...

Here it is with the mango top and Dad jeans...it goes with so many of my transition tops, including several cashmere sweaters...

The Transition: Although I've gotten better at it, I really dislike dressing for transitional seasons. I'm using the same approach as I did with winter (which the Q posters missed).  The transitional seasons here are even shorter than our winter season. While winter is fairly steady with "cold" temps for about two months or so, the "cool" seasons (early spring and late fall) and the "warm" seasons (late spring and early fall) are roller coaster temps for a month or so each. ("Hot and humid" summer seems interminable haha.)

As the PB posters know, surprisingly I got thru winter with nine (IIRC) wool and cashmere sweaters and two coats. A small handful of scarves and gaiters and a few non-wool/cashmere tops rounded out my winter wardrobe (with the help of heavy weight base layers). Surprising because this was downright skeletal compared to past winter wardrobes.

So that's what I did with my transition wardrobe...kept it to the bare minimum. Transition is so difficult for me because I don't like jackets, and I'm not a big fan of shawls or vests. I also don't give a rat's patootie what the self-proclaimed "professional stylists" say about colors...for example, I dislike (on me, YMMV) Easter egg pastels, so I easily ignore that spring marketing push. I admit that my likes and dislikes limit my choices for transition, but, so what? The transition seasons are very short here, thankfully!

I've also discovered that my light weight cashmere is perfect for transition. My wool and heavier weight cashmere sweaters are in the process of being stored. I put them in our deep freezer for a few days, then store in airtight bags with cedar blocks under the bed, but I'll keep the lighter weight cashmere out for several more weeks. It's amazing how breathable cashmere is and how it adjusts to warmer temps (55-ish to 65-ish degrees).

Spring is right around the corner!    Have you started transitioning your closet from winter to spring yet?

Reinvent new combinations of what you already own. Improvise. Become more creative. Not because you have to, but because you want to.
― Karl Lagerfeld

Have a good one!

P.S.  @Texasmouse   Hi!  We chatted over a year ago about cashmere.  You purchased a few (?) Naadam sweaters...your first cashmere, IIRC...and I wondered how you liked them?  Hope you are well.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: The Scarf, the Sleeves, & the Transition...

MacDuFF

You have a strong sense of fashion and do not need to follow trends or be told what to wear, you already have that knowledge.  I believe in wearing what you like, are comfortable in and makes you feel good.  I don't go by trends unless of course I like the particular fashion.

I haven't put away my cold weather clothes yet but that will happen by the end of April    I am a cool weather person and do no look forward to the hot and humid weather.  I am always happy when September rolls around!!!!  Thanks for your comments and fashion tips, they are always fun and interesting!

Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF I really like what you did with the scarf!  Looked nice before but trimmed down with the second blouse it looks terrific!

Trusted Contributor

Hi @MacDuFF . I just replied on your fashion pics post.  😄
The scarf makes a nice compliment to your outfit.  
I like what you've done with transitional dressing. I have not changed over my closet yet. If I do, then we will get snow (haha) here in NJ. I have lots of jackets and sweaters, so those will transition for me nicely. (I'm still wearing my winter coat.)

Enjoy your day!

Valued Contributor

As always enjoy your photos and appreciate your talent of pulling things together.  Wish I had places to go to dress up for.  

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my gosh @MacDuFF , you ALWAYS look so gosh darn precious!!

Honored Contributor

Here it is with the mango top and Dad jeans...it goes with so many of my transition tops, including several cashmere sweaters...

I don't like this look on you.  I think it's the sleeves.  They look like leg warmers.

I'm not one for scarves, especially ones the size of banquet tables---I don't get that look.

Your's is very pretty, dainty and the (extra) part you cut off can be tied around your handbag.

You look so nice in the white crisp shirts.  They would look nice with dress pants in any color, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDuFF 

I agree with your assessment of the first look.

The tweaks you made for the second look are great!  

We've had a rollercoaster of temps and weather over the last few weeks. Pretty normal for us, but it can make for interesting outfit choices each day. 

Enjoy wearing your items and making outfits. I always enjoy reading & looking at your posts. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a scarf wearer but I do like how you did both outfits with the scarf.  I've never seen a thermal tee (or top) that has the pattern like that on the sleeves.  That is super cute.  It would even look good by itself with jeans, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

Hi @spiderw   ITA about September...or, here, more like mid-October.  I breathe a sigh of relief!  Hope you are well.

@haddon9   Thanks.  The trimmed down scarf is definitely more me.

@Lisa Y   Probably everyone is NJ thanks you for not changing over your closet just yet haha!   I wish I liked jackets more...I have fit issues, and they're cumbersome if you're out and about and have to take them off, and, last, but not least, they clutter up my closet (and y'all know I hate that)!

@Terrywu   I hear ya...I really don't go anywhere/do anything much that requires getting too dressed up.   It's amazing how casual my life has become.

Thanks @Citrine1 ...long time!  Hope you are well.

@Lucky Charm   Hmmm...I like the idea of arm warmers!  I'm using the thermal as a base layer in the coolest temps and think the sleeve detail adds a little interest while extending my transitional wardrobe a bit.   I'm totally with you about the banquet table sized scarves...I don't get it either.  Why didn't I think to use the left over scarf for a handbag tie!!??  Darn it!  Good idea...will remember it next time I trim down a tablecloth haha.

Thanks @wilma   We had a few 75-80 degree days last week mixed in with a few 55-60.   That and your comment got me thinking I should re-arrange my closet to have a dedicated area for transition arranged from cooler to warmer temps.  (BTW, you looked beautiful in your Palm Sunday outfit.) 

Hi @shoptilyadropagain   (Do you get confused like I do between the two boards haha?)   Your comment made me think of trying it with a vest...if I like it, I'll post a pic and give you credit!   I found a couple of pics of the Sundance thermal, which, I think, was originally $90ish...

Hope everyone is having a nice week...take good care.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~