Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Project: Curating MacDuff's Closet...

This is our closet.   I've had only one "nicer, bigger" closet than this one in my whole life.   The closet I had before this (small apartment) was a bad joke.   If you've ever taken a tour of a historical home and you've seen those teeny tiny closets, then you can imagine.

The chest of drawers is Handsome's...it's ugly, and I almost tossed it (my furniture is newer and mostly cherry wood, she bragged), but I'm glad we decided to put it in the closet.

I magnanimously allow Handsome to use the top drawer.   He has weird man stuff thrown in there...nuts and bolts, Army patches, ammo, wire, gadgets, enough spare change to go to Chicago on the bus!   

And pocket knives...I counted at least 9 pocket knives (I'm afraid to put my hand too far into the drawer lol).   These are in addition to the innumerable pocket knives he has stashed in the kitchen junk drawer, my desk, the man cave, the garage, the boat, and his vehicle.   He has given me several, including the one I carry in my purse and which caused no end of trouble last year when I set off alarm bells in the Social Security office, but that's another story.

I was going to line that drawer with felt and make it my jewelry box, durn it all!   As it is, all the boxes you see on top of the dresser are Colleen Lopez's jewelry boxes.   I threaten to commandeer that drawer every now and then.   When The Project is over, I'm going to paint the dresser and replace the hardware.

Next drawer down contains undies and my insane stash of socks...next is my pj drawer...and bottom 2 drawers contain handbags.

Handsome's caps are hogging valuable shelf space...you can see 3, but there are 4 and a half piles of caps.   His stuff on the left; mine on the right.

This pic was taken after The Project's summer purge...I truly wish I had taken pics before I started The Project... @catchersmom knows what it looked like lol...

20170724_175832-1.jpeg
~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

This is the view to the right...my side...taken on the same day as the previous pic.   Why do I have a wicker-coffee-table-that-Handsome-made-into-a-bench in this closet?   Why do I have an exercise step?  What is lurking in that back corner (the black hole)?   Is there some rule that says the ironing board has to be on my side?

20170724_150506.jpeg  

Esteemed Contributor

Sunday I made a few changes just to make this project a little easier...spent 4 hours cleaning and rearranging...

Handsome wants y'all to know that he lost a couple of feet of space...he calls it the "city girl fashionista encroachment."   Isn't he funny!?  

@AmericanBulldogMom please note that there are now only 2 short piles of caps (sometimes you have to put your foot down).   I was able to move the iron and "stuff" to the shelf which made room for a rearrangement of the jewelry boxes (handsome = relieved) on the dresser top.

Ironing board on his side now...it's only fair!

Had room on the shelf to lay my jeans this way...they used to be folded twice, which caused wrinkles/creases and they were stacked so high they kept falling over (2 tall stacks).   I don't have room to hang my jeans (even after this is over), so I'm happy with this...

20171015_162443.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I can see all my boots!   Let there be light in the black hole!  Three stacks of jeans that aren't falling over, that I can reach and that aren't all creased!   Happy dance!

20171015_162507.jpeg

Super Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

This pic was taken after The Project's summer purge...I truly wish I had taken pics before I started The Project... @catchersmom knows what it looked like lol...

@MacDUFF Now I can say I-knew-you-when lol.

I'm supposed to be taking my Mom to the social security office in the next week or two, and I'm going to have my eyes peeled looking for a "Wanted" poster of a sunglass wearing, closet-organizing female. Smiley Very Happy 

(seriously, you can't open the door on a pocket-knife-social-security-office-incident and not finish the story! I bet it's a riot)

Please tell your Chief of Security that his well organized ball cap collection is impressive Smiley Happy.

(unless you had to organize it for him, then you can just skip that part)

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I can see all my boots!   Let there be light in the black hole!  Three stacks of jeans that aren't falling over, that I can reach and that aren't all creased!   Happy dance!

20171015_162507.jpeg

@MacDUFF

GOOD WORK!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The other view...no more ironing board threatening to fall on me...lots of room to maneuver during the remainder of The Project.   I have at least 3/4 of the clothes left in here to go through.   

This will highly annoy women who live in the frozen north and have a ton of big, heavy winter clothes, coats, boots, etc., but except for a few spa/pool stuff stored in a beach bag in the guest room and some fishing/camping clothes stored in the man cave, this is everything I own, including 15 pairs of flip flops left from the summer purge... help.me!!

20171015_162552.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Added 5 more shopping bags of cra...I mean caps and shoes and clothes and socks and jammies to the 4 bags from last week (3 are filled with Handsome's stuff).   

Bye bye beautiful coffee-table-bench-that-I-loved-for-20-years...don't feel too bad for me, it's been in the closet for 7 years.

See that green Nordstrom's Rack bag that says "shopping genius?"   Chyeah riiiight  Smiley LOL ...

20171015_161045.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

I am in such a state of admiration for what you've accomplished in your closet but I want to know that the little Teddy Bear that was sitting atop your chest of drawers is still there.

I love my Teddy Bearsl

Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF Funny about all the bball caps. What you see is only half of what hubby has.  LOL! I will admit, I have 1 bball cap that I myself will wear.  

Things are looking good. Nice progress. Your comment about those living in colder climates and having a decent sized sweater wardrobe really hits close to home. Not only is it bad enough living in Wisconsin, but add to it that I’m a freezy cat. So, I have lots of sweaters, sweatshirts/hoodies, and need to layer at times. I need a whole house level dedicated to just my warm clothers. LOL!

Oh...and don’t even get me started on my jeans collection. You have such a small stash. 😉 But I have already admitted that I am a jeans and sweatshirt girl at heart. Then on top of that, dress is casual at work, so that enables me even more bc there’s not a day I CAN’T wear them. Ha!

Again, things are coming along nicely for you.